• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total confusion

Is it just me who can't work out what petrol I'm supposed to be putting in my car?

In the old days you had

Unleaded
    Super Unleaded
    Diesel

(Actually, in the very old days you had 2*, 4* and diesel)

Just stopped at our local Total garage.

Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded? Both Premium and Excellium had green and white labels. Decided 'premium' = 'super' so selected Excellium. Fortunately checked the price that came up - 137.9. As unleaded was advertised at 'only' 130.9 realised I'd got the wrong one. Why can't garages just label stuff properly and stop using the ridiculously confusing adjectives.

And it's the first time ever my little Corsa has cost over fifty quid to fill.

Just you grandma.

It means you're getting old.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Just you grandma.

It means you're getting old.
      When I was your age I'd've got a clip round the earhole for saying that...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Is it just me who can't work out what petrol I'm supposed to be putting in my car?

In the old days you had

Unleaded
        Super Unleaded
        Diesel

(Actually, in the very old days you had 2*, 4* and diesel)

Just stopped at our local Total garage.

Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded? Both Premium and Excellium had green and white labels. Decided 'premium' = 'super' so selected Excellium.
        You've got it easy. Here on le continent we have Premium Diesel, Super Diesel, Eco-Diesel, Bio-Diesel and Tractor Diesel. And LPG.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I look at the numbers. 95, bad. 97, 98 or 99 good. If you see 93 (which you get on the continent), that's basically water with added essence of petrol.

My S2000 needs super unleaded really, but recently I tried regular and was a bit shocked at how much the fuel economy suffered. It really was cheaper on super, plus it meant stopping less often. YMMV.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I look at the numbers. 95, bad. 97, 98 or 99 good. If you see 93 (which you get on the continent), that's basically water with added essence of petrol.

My S2000 needs super unleaded really, but recently I tried regular and was a bit shocked at how much the fuel economy suffered. It really was cheaper on super, plus it meant stopping less often. YMMV.
            Is an S2000 one of those sports cars that revs up to about 10,000?

Most cars don't rev so high and most drivers rarely get above 4000 rpm, so they can't really need the higher octane fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded?
              There is no "ordinary", only Better and Best. Every grade is above average. And you thought that "Premium" meant "better than something"?

Have a coffee. Would you like the Large or the Extra Large?
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Is an S2000 one of those sports cars that revs up to about 10,000?
                No. Only 9000.

Most cars don't rev so high and most drivers rarely get above 4000 rpm, so they can't really need the higher octane fuels.
                That's cobblers. Because modern ECUs can adjust, any car can take advantage of higher octane fuel and run more efficiently, though that doesn't necessarily mean it works out better overall for every car.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I've got a crappy Mondeo and doing motorway driving you notice a big decrease in fuel consumption using the higher octane fuels

But then I'm usually late up and flooring it along the motorway to get to the client site, if you were stuck in traffic on the M25 everyday it would be pointless
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    I've got a crappy Mondeo and doing motorway driving you notice a big decrease in fuel consumption using the higher octane fuels

But then I'm usually late up and flooring it along the motorway to get to the client site, if you were stuck in traffic on the M25 everyday it would be pointless
                    Hmm. I suppose I could experiment and find out which works best. But then I don´t think I could really be bothered playing around with the on board computer and then calculating the financial difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X