PDA

View Full Version : Total confusion

mudskipper
25th February 2011, 08:45
Is it just me who can't work out what petrol I'm supposed to be putting in my car?

In the old days you had

Unleaded
Super Unleaded
Diesel

(Actually, in the very old days you had 2*, 4* and diesel)

Just stopped at our local Total garage.

Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded? Both Premium and Excellium had green and white labels. Decided 'premium' = 'super' so selected Excellium. Fortunately checked the price that came up - 137.9. As unleaded was advertised at 'only' 130.9 realised I'd got the wrong one. Why can't garages just label stuff properly and stop using the ridiculously confusing adjectives.

And it's the first time ever my little Corsa has cost over fifty quid to fill. :(

MarillionFan
25th February 2011, 08:46
Just you grandma.

It means you're getting old.

mudskipper
25th February 2011, 08:49
Just you grandma.

It means you're getting old.

When I was your age I'd've got a clip round the earhole for saying that...

Mich the Tester
25th February 2011, 10:11
Is it just me who can't work out what petrol I'm supposed to be putting in my car?

In the old days you had

Unleaded
Super Unleaded
Diesel

(Actually, in the very old days you had 2*, 4* and diesel)

Just stopped at our local Total garage.

Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded? Both Premium and Excellium had green and white labels. Decided 'premium' = 'super' so selected Excellium.

You've got it easy. Here on le continent we have Premium Diesel, Super Diesel, Eco-Diesel, Bio-Diesel and Tractor Diesel. And LPG.

VectraMan
25th February 2011, 10:14
I look at the numbers. 95, bad. 97, 98 or 99 good. If you see 93 (which you get on the continent), that's basically water with added essence of petrol.

My S2000 needs super unleaded really, but recently I tried regular and was a bit shocked at how much the fuel economy suffered. It really was cheaper on super, plus it meant stopping less often. YMMV.

Mich the Tester
25th February 2011, 10:19
I look at the numbers. 95, bad. 97, 98 or 99 good. If you see 93 (which you get on the continent), that's basically water with added essence of petrol.

My S2000 needs super unleaded really, but recently I tried regular and was a bit shocked at how much the fuel economy suffered. It really was cheaper on super, plus it meant stopping less often. YMMV.Is an S2000 one of those sports cars that revs up to about 10,000?

Most cars don't rev so high and most drivers rarely get above 4000 rpm, so they can't really need the higher octane fuels.

Ignis Fatuus
25th February 2011, 10:21
Pumps labelled Diesel, Premium unleaded and Excellium unleaded. WTF? Which is 'regular' unleaded? There is no "ordinary", only Better and Best. Every grade is above average. And you thought that "Premium" meant "better than something"?

Have a coffee. Would you like the Large or the Extra Large?

VectraMan
25th February 2011, 10:32
Is an S2000 one of those sports cars that revs up to about 10,000?

No. Only 9000.

Most cars don't rev so high and most drivers rarely get above 4000 rpm, so they can't really need the higher octane fuels.

That's cobblers. Because modern ECUs can adjust, any car can take advantage of higher octane fuel and run more efficiently, though that doesn't necessarily mean it works out better overall for every car.

amcdonald
25th February 2011, 10:32

I've got a crappy Mondeo and doing motorway driving you notice a big decrease in fuel consumption using the higher octane fuels

But then I'm usually late up and flooring it along the motorway to get to the client site, if you were stuck in traffic on the M25 everyday it would be pointless

Mich the Tester
25th February 2011, 10:34
I've got a crappy Mondeo and doing motorway driving you notice a big decrease in fuel consumption using the higher octane fuels

But then I'm usually late up and flooring it along the motorway to get to the client site, if you were stuck in traffic on the M25 everyday it would be pointless

Hmm. I suppose I could experiment and find out which works best. But then I donĀ“t think I could really be bothered playing around with the on board computer and then calculating the financial difference.

mudskipper
25th February 2011, 11:14
There is no "ordinary", only Better and Best. Every grade is above average. And you thought that "Premium" meant "better than something"?

Have a coffee. Would you like the Large or the Extra Large?

This is true. I blame the Yanks.

Clippy
25th February 2011, 12:07
This is true. I blame the Yanks.

Sums it up well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wic5Mf06SJ0