• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sneaky or Open telephone calls?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneaky or Open telephone calls?

The first contractor I met at work last century used to loudly discuss his next role with various agents during his present one. I'd hear his plummy tones booming across the office..

"NO NO THAT RATE IS FAR TOO LOW I HAVE A TVR TO SUPPORT BLAH BLAH"

He said he did that to strength his renewal position. I assumed the permies just thought he was a c*** but he didn't care about that.

Now I like to pretend to the permies I'm "one of the lads", and try and get accepted by buying rounds so I sneak out of the office to the rainy car park to talk with the pimps on my ghetto PAYG phone and feel guilty about it.

Is there a middle way between these too extremes of Contractor Scummieness and wussiness?

Book a meeting room.

HTH
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I never discuss these things in front of the permies. It's not good to rock the boat.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        I never discuss these things in front of the permies. It's not good to rock the boat.
        Exactly!

Never take a call like that in front of everyone else, best to let these go to voice mail, if the pimp is interested in you they will leave a message and you can return it at your leisure and away from prying ears.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          WHS

It's like taking a call from your mistress when your wife is in earshot.

'Yeah yeah she wont let me take her from behind, what's that you've got your sister involved as well, fantastic fantastic!'
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If in the office then I'll nip to the stairs or outside, seems like good manners to me plus it's a private conversation I don't want people to listen in.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Exactly!

Never take a call like that in front of everyone else, best to let these go to voice mail, if the pimp is interested in you they will leave a message and you can return it at your leisure and away from prying ears.
              WSS

If they aren't fishing they will leave a message.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X