PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the career so far

Cliphead
25th February 2011, 19:39
Been over thirty years in IT the first five years being permie and since then only one permie job till now which was a brief nine months as the company went bust. It was sufficiently interesting and well paid to entice me away from contracting albeit for a short time.

I know some here have moved between permie and contractor for various reasons. Have you always been a contractor solely? Have you moved between permiedom and being your own boss?

BigTime
25th February 2011, 19:51
Learned a trick or 2 in a few perm jobs, then the next best move and also the best paid next move was contracting. Stuck at that for almost 10 years but a well paid perm job with excellent benefits and pension came along. Unfortunately the expectations were so high that I'd never have lived to draw a pension so am now a year back in contracting and will continue to graciously decline any further perm offers.

d000hg
25th February 2011, 20:25
3-4 years as a permie in 3 different jobs after university. Then switched to freelancing working with clients I was already doing sideline work with along with my day job in 2007, started hiring my own subcontractors/freelancers in 2008.

No plans to switch back to permie, unless they let me work from home, which was the main reason I ended up leaving permiedom - I just hate commuting.

TykeMerc
25th February 2011, 21:39
3 or 3.5 years in permieland then contracting ever since with the odd spot of time in academia post grad.

20 years a contractor, gave up engineering gradually over the last decade (challenge had gone completely) as I got offered more projects to lead and manage, been full time PM and Programme Managing for the last 5 or 6.

NickFitz
26th February 2011, 03:22
career v.i. move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way

Works for me :happy

wantacontract
26th February 2011, 09:21
permie for the first six years then started contracting for the 4 years then went back to permie for one year at a local council :throw::bang::suicide: (foolishly thought it would good, kinda of strange in some ways, as I got what I thought I wanted = drank tea and talk garbage whilst doing not a lot with people that were low on ability but easy going, which was what I envisioned my retirement to be, after a year of that it was depressing and boring, so got out of there, guess you shouldn't get what you wish for)

and now back at contracting....

PAH
26th February 2011, 09:34
Been contracting since 1998 and have only once been tempted to try permiedom during that time, mostly because I was tired of working away from home staying in soulless hotels and battling through the friday/monday commute.

The one permie position I went for I gave up at the second interview when I realised if they have that many hoops just to get the job then the day to day office bollox would soon become unbearable. Too used to having one quick interview (sometimes by phone) and starting the following Monday.

So now I tend to take a long break after a particularly grueling contract, until either the funds run low or I feel refreshed enough to dive back in.

aussielong
26th February 2011, 09:37
I've been in and out of contracting for the last 15 years. I am now contracting for top dollar but in a couple of years I intend to jack this in. I will either go permie to get a career going off the tools, or do my own software and focus on that for a year or two. Contracting is getting boring for me - doing the same thing again and again.

downsouth
26th February 2011, 09:41
10years a permie from college, took a pitiful redundancy amount and haven't looked back, best thing I ever done, haven't even considered a permie role in last 8 years and wont unless personal circumstances dictate and even then would be last resort!

feck that Personal development nonsense, office politics, nah not for me

ideally would like to focus on sub contracting a few roles out as getting quite a rep for the work i do, so guidance appreciated

aussielong
26th February 2011, 09:45
ideally would like to focus on sub contracting a few roles out as getting quite a rep for the work i do, so guidance appreciated

This is a good idea too. Was working with one contractor recently who hired a third guy, trained him up on the platform and took 15% of his daily rate for that.

VectraMan
26th February 2011, 10:54
12 years as a permie in two companies, then 5 years as a contractor, and I think I'm about to be a permie again.:rolleyes: Hopefully I'll make it a year before having to endure an appraisil or having to work out my KPIs*. Still, I'm looking forward to being paid to be on holiday.

*I think that means "Key Personal Initiatives"; it's a phrase I overheard a lot at previous ClientCo and seem to cause misery for manager and employee alike and generally get in the way of the scheduled work.:suicide:

OwlHoot
26th February 2011, 11:40
20 years a permie, then offered a contract (believe it or not) to solve a knotty SQL join problem and been contracting for 12 years since then until now.

Once or twice tempted to go permie again, when contracts were thin on the ground, but always saved in the nick of time. :D

norrahe
26th February 2011, 13:02
Thankfully only endured 5 years of permiedom and have been contracting since, couldn't go back to the darkside.

I like the fact I can move elsewhere when the politicking gets too much or if I fancy a change of skill set or scenery.

Don't think I would have learnt so much as a permie.

Only downside is that I have a lot of experience in a niche market and am still trying to break out, its too easy for agents to place me in my market.

thunderlizard
26th February 2011, 13:24
Never had a permanent job. Started contracting in university summer holidays in 1998 (well, temping really) when all you needed was a nice tie and the ability to run (not write, heavens no) an Excel macro. Forgot to jack it in in 2001 when all the other chancers did, and seem to have got fairly good at it now.

NickFitz
26th February 2011, 19:30
12 years as a permie in two companies, then 5 years as a contractor, and I think I'm about to be a permie again.:rolleyes: Hopefully I'll make it a year before having to endure an appraisil or having to work out my KPIs*. Still, I'm looking forward to being paid to be on holiday.

*I think that means "Key Personal Initiatives"; it's a phrase I overheard a lot at previous ClientCo and seem to cause misery for manager and employee alike and generally get in the way of the scheduled work.:suicide:

It's Key Performance Indicators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_performance_indicators) :suicide:

MarillionFan
26th February 2011, 19:34
30+ years a politician.

Chancellor of the Exchequer
Prime Minister
Responsible for biggest cash crisis in UK History
Motivational Speaker
F**kwit

Gordon Brown

Fred Bloggs
26th February 2011, 20:53
I'm a bit dim/slow learner I suppose. I spent 19.5 years in one staff job and 10 years in another. Then I went contract about 8 years ago. (I'm an old fart as well). No point regretting anything, but I should have gone contract 20 years sooner than I did. I'd have been a lot better off than I am now if I had done.

minestrone
27th February 2011, 08:27
5 years permie and 8 years as a contractor. I went from a permie software development manager on Friday to a contractor XML editor on the Monday. I used to love my job but now I am just an invoice jockey, chuck me a change request and I'll hack it into your hacked code.

VectraMan
27th February 2011, 09:24
I used to love my job but now I am just an invoice jockey, chuck me a change request and I'll hack it into your hacked code.

That pretty much sums up my contracting career too. This permie oppurtunity I have is something genuinely interesting, and in a field I want to work in. I'm actually quite excited about it, but if I don't get it it'll be back to contract code-monkeying for cash.:rolleyes:

Doggy Styles
27th February 2011, 11:41
Been over thirty years in IT the first five years being permie and since then only one permie job till now which was a brief nine months as the company went bust. It was sufficiently interesting and well paid to entice me away from contracting albeit for a short time.

I know some here have moved between permie and contractor for various reasons. Have you always been a contractor solely? Have you moved between permiedom and being your own boss?Apprentice, permie, contractor.
From tea-stirrer's mate to being a captain of industry.
I think that's pretty good.

suityou01
27th February 2011, 12:41
5 years permie and 8 years as a contractor. I went from a permie software development manager on Friday to a contractor XML editor on the Monday. I used to love my job but now I am just an invoice jockey, chuck me a change request and I'll hack it into your hacked code.

Mmm well this explains the heavy drinking and vitriolic epic fail posts. Why not go back to being a butcher? (Take a refresher course on black puddings at night school and you're back in)

MaryPoppins
28th February 2011, 08:56
WFBS. :(

And now I'm stuck in eyer ejumakashen until I drop.

Ho hum.

What do you actually do Zeity?

lukemg
28th February 2011, 10:36
4yrs perm - 10yrs contract - 3 yrs perm (wheels fell off had to regroup - v.grim) now 5 years contract.
Had some odd jobs I really shouldn't have got but so good at interviews I can talk my way in most places given a chance.
Really bored though and going for a 4th interview for a perm job that pays about my average contract rate but might actually be interesting (this would mean a LOT at the moment). Its a big IF, but if I get it I will do a couple of years and reassess, it is likely to open other doors back in to contracting.
Will be hard to give up 'the game' though !

Support Monkey
28th February 2011, 13:35
Many years permie,last one i was on 23K me and Mrs monkey and 2 little monkeys just about surviving paying the bills, met a fella on the last permie who was contracting doing the same job as me and making twice the money so i walked no notice nothing, 6 years later no office politics i go in do my job and go home no hassle, half the mortgage, house extended, nice car on the drive bike in the garage holidays abroad every year and the best bit enough money in the bank to last for 2 years on the bench, it would have to be an exceptional offer or i would want to be learning something i could not learn anywhere else to make me go back permie