• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn

First impression from a brief flick through is that the introductory videos appear to be aimed at 8 year olds and are archaic, haven't seen a PC and monitor like that for a while!

Trivial point if it works. Anyone used this for a small business or to market their own skills?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Free Address box

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    First impression from a brief flick through is that the introductory videos appear to be aimed at 8 year olds and are archaic, haven't seen a PC and monitor like that for a while!

Trivial point if it works. Anyone used this for a small business or to market their own skills?
    I use LinkedIn as an address book where I can look up the details of agencies and ex collegues. If one of the agents that I am linkedIn is advertising on Jobserve then I can send a quick message asking for further details.
    I have not bothered to look at any videos and I take all the recommendations with a pinch of salt.

Comment

I think it is overall now pretty useless. It has been taken over by agencies and those from the subcontinent trying to get a job in the west. The idea was good, but now I think it is pretty pointless.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I think it is overall now pretty useless. It has been taken over by agencies and those from the subcontinent trying to get a job in the west. The idea was good, but now I think it is pretty pointless.
        It all depends on what you want from LinkedIn. If you want it to be the saviour of your career that keeps you permanently employed then I have some snake oil I'd like to sell you, if you see it as a fancy list of people you work with then it has lots of value.

It's up to individuals to manage their contacts. I have two agents on my long list of contacts, both have proven through years of me doing business with them that they can be "trusted" to not spam my contacts. The rest of my contacts are simply just a computerised rolodex that keeps me fairly up to date with where my business contacts are working these days; for that, it's worth the £0 fee alone!

Comment

It works of you follow a few simple rules. Only connect with people you know and trust. Don't connect with agents - most are only going to raid your contacts. Build up a good list of connections - I'm around 400 now, and 250-300 seemed to be critical mass for getting gigs.

I announce my availability on Linkedin 4 weeks before end date, and repeat every week. Last 4 gigs have been lined up via linkedin, finish Friday start Monday. 2 have come from people I wouldn't have expected, which is interesting.

Yes, it works, but like everything else, only if you know how to use it.
          World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
            It works of you follow a few simple rules. Only connect with people you know and trust. Don't connect with agents - most are only going to raid your contacts. Build up a good list of connections - I'm around 400 now, and 250-300 seemed to be critical mass for getting gigs.

I announce my availability on Linkedin 4 weeks before end date, and repeat every week. Last 4 gigs have been lined up via linkedin, finish Friday start Monday. 2 have come from people I wouldn't have expected, which is interesting.

Yes, it works, but like everything else, only if you know how to use it.
            Same here, but I have linked to agents but do not allow my contacts to view each other so I don't have to deal with them raiding my contacts.

Using the status is very useful as is posting in the groups and posting links to relevant business articles it will get you noticed and make life a little easier when looking for work.

A lot of people though do forget that LinkedIn is a professional network and not an extension of facebook, so steer clear from personal reference.

Regarding the recommendations don't go overboard with them, many people try and get all their mates from work to recommend them, it looks a little odd if you have 50 per contract. I stick to getting a line manager and if relevant, someone who has reported to me, you get a balanced view that way.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think it is overall now pretty useless.
              This^

I think it is pretty pointless.
              And this^

(Unless you are an agent, I guess. )
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post

How do you do this? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK View Post
                  How do you do this? Thanks.
                  use your status update, you can also use this to post links to interesting business news and websites relevant to your market
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    use your status update, you can also use this to post links to interesting business news and websites relevant to your market

Thanks - I just this minute found a video about it on the linkedin site. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X