• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tipping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tipping

Went to strada (tower bridge) with some mates fri. evening. Didn't book so was told we had to wait around 20-30mins. Not too bad so went to the bar. Only 2 people in front of me ordering 2 drinks each. 15mins later I was still waiting. I ordered 3 large glasses of wine. Took him 5 mins to do that. When the bill arrived 2 mins later as he didn't know how the till worked it came to £19 odd pounds. I gave him a £20 note. He went to the till and didn't come back with any change. He started serving the next person. I asked him where my change was. He showed me the receipt. I said it's £19.20. He said look below that. There's a 10% service charge. Its actually over £20. I told him that I'm not paying 10% service charge for drinks while I'm waiting for a table and it had taken him 20mins to get me a drink. For some reason he then lost the ability to understand English. Eventually got my change.

What a blimming cheek. Just assumed everyone was going to pay him a tip. I don't see why I should pay a tip for a bar man and especially someone who can't do his job properly. When I go to the pub they don't ask for tips.

Why do restaurants put a '10% discretionary service charge' on the bill.

A colleague next to me said they're probably only on min. wage and they've got to make their living some how. Sorry but that's not my problem. I prefer to give money to people who really need it through charities not people on min. wage.

It doesn't happen anywhere else. If I want to leave 10% I will. If I go to a shop and they provide a very good service I don't leave a 10% tip. I will ask for the store manager afterwards and tell him what great service I got.

Am I wrong here?
    Last edited by rightfluff; 28 February 2011, 11:05.

Nope, you're not wrong.

I'm happy to tip if I get good service, but I decide how much and if I tip at all. I flat out won't pay a "service charge" and I'm not even sure if it's legal to put one on a bill in the UK these days.

Comment

It's like Reservoir Dogs all over again
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        Nope, you're not wrong.

I'm happy to tip if I get good service, but I decide how much and if I tip at all. I flat out won't pay a "service charge" and I'm not even sure if it's legal to put one on a bill in the UK these days.
        what about the chef?
        If the foods good and the service is crap can I go to the kitchen and give him a tip?
        If the service is good then go and tell the manger. Why should I give them a tip anyway.
        That's your job. I expect you to be nice and prompt.

Our bill came to just over £100. So the service charge was around £10. for what? Writing down what drinks and food I want and carrying stuff around. Does that require 3 years at university? I'm sorry but that job deserves to be min. wage.

The total time she spent taking our order, bringing it to us and clearing up was probably a total of 5mins. If that. Does that deserve a tenner? Add that all up amoungst all the other tables. f*&^ me that's alot.

Lots of other people out there on min. wage or even work for free that work harder.
        Last edited by rightfluff; 28 February 2011, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by rightfluff View Post
          what about the chef?
          If the foods good and the service is crap can I go to the kitchen and give him a tip?
          If the service is good then go and tell the manger. Why should I give them a tip anyway.
          That's your job. I expect you to be nice and prompt.

Our bill came to just over £100. So the service charge was around £10. for what? Writing down what drinks and food I want and carrying stuff around. Does that require 3 years at university? I'm sorry but that job deserves to be min. wage.

The total time she spent taking our order, bringing it to us and clearing up was probably a total of 5mins. If that. Does that deserve a tenner? Add that all up amoungst all the other tables. f*&^ me that's alot.
          You tight ass. As a contractor you should have tipped a £100.

I've just spent a minute of my time reading this rant.

On that basis, rounding up to the nearest three figures you now owe me £100 for my time. Please PM me your bank details immediately.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's not La Strada. It's Strada. If you're the kind of pretentious person who puts an unwanted "La" on the front of a perfectly British pizza chain restaurant, you deserve to get cheated blind by the staff. Signor.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You tight ass. As a contractor you should have tipped a £100.

I've just spent a minute of my time reading this rant.

On that basis, rounding up to the nearest three figures you now owe me £100 for my time. Please PM me your bank details immediately.
              'tight ass' - ready. here we go.
              I've done a few 10k runs, triathlons, movember etc. for charity. always sponsor myself, friends and colleagues generously. Have a monthly direct debit going to GOSH charity as well.
              It's not about being tight it's the principal here.
              Give your £100 tip to GOSH instead of a healthy european youngster earning a wage for doing something that requires basic skills.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                It's not La Strada. It's Strada. If you're the kind of pretentious person who puts an unwanted "La" on the front of a perfectly British pizza chain restaurant, you deserve to get cheated blind by the staff. Signor.

you're funny. I thought it was 'la strada'. I'm half italian. Simple mistake. I stand corrected. OP changed. I'm glad that was your only opinion on the matter.
                Last edited by rightfluff; 28 February 2011, 11:06.

Comment

It strikes me that you've let a nice evening out with friends get ruined over 80 pence.

I agree that if the bill said £19.20 then that is what's owed. If there was a service charge (discretionary or otherwise) it should be as a clear separate line but included in the total at the bottom. Whether you choose to argue it with the manager is your choice.

You might get annoyed by the presumption of the barman but personally I would have been back enjoying the drinks with friends rather than waiting for the 80p.

As for the extra £3.33 per person, if it says "service charge will be added" then it's part of the agreed bill. If it says discretionary, it's your choice but IMHO it's part of the cost of a night out.

Getting worked up over whether £3.33 per person is a reasonable cost for having someone set your place, take your order, bring your food, clear your dishes and bring your bill is no way to enjoy time out with friends.

If you're not happy with the service and food from an establishment, don't go there again. If it really was a disaster, talk to the manager.

Don't fret the little things and enjoy the company you're with.

Comment

Originally posted by rightfluff View Post
                    'tight ass' - ready. here we go.
                    I've done a few 10k runs, triathlons, movember etc. for charity. always sponsor myself, friends and colleagues generously. Have a monthly direct debit going to GOSH charity as well.
                    It's not about being tight it's the principal here.
                    Give your £100 tip to GOSH instead of a healthy european youngster earning a wage for doing something that requires basic skills.
                    A real contractor doesn't talk about their work for 'charity'.

If £100 is a lot of money to you to tip a minimum wage waiter then you're in the wrong game.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X