• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vindictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vindictive?

One of the managers at the clientco's clientco is a bit of a prick.
    Got a conference call later where he'll be insisting on something which I know will be a complete mess and result in a few of his staff hating him and then possibly land him with a nice bill for a CR to fix it.
    Should I
    a) Gladly give him what he wants
    or
    b) Patiently explain for the 4th time why it's such a bad idea
    Coffee's for closers

Either he ignored your advice the first 3 times or doesn't get it.

Either way, just give him what he wants now.

Would be great if one of your 3 attempts to explain why this is a bad idea was by email. That way when the recriminations come, you can say you told him so.

Comment

Both?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Got a conference call later where he'll be insisting on something which I know will be a complete mess and result in a few of his staff hating him and then possibly land him with a nice bill for a CR to fix it.
        Should I
        or
        Explain B. Do C - risk analysis and publish to all with massive caveat. Then Do A if he doesn't understand C. Invoice and then do D. Do it again properly next year after he's been fired.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

c) tell him again but at the first argument against give in with the statement if you really insist.

Then ensure you have a document trail that covers your arse.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Should I
            or
            or

c) b & Invoice, repeat as necessary.

Churchill - In "Bill and grin boy, bill and grin" mode!

Comment

If it is the 4th time that you have explained, then you are in danger of him becoming frustrated by your lack of ability to understand his needs or requirements.

There are times as a contractor when you can influence and help shape deliverables. There are also times when you simply stop banging your head on the wall, put your hands up - and deliver what the client wants.

This sounds like the latter.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Just do a risk document.

This happens to me quite a lot. If I think there is a chance that the end solution won't work for external reasons/not possible/stupid requirements/people not playing ball/poor data etc. I add in a seperate risk analysis and ensure that is reviewed and signed off. There is only so many times you can bang on about it.

Think of it this way. Client wants you to customize his BMW. He wants big fat wheels, pink paint job, massive futuristic spoiler, leopard skin seats and fluffy dice. You tell him it's going to look tulip and women will laugh at him. He gets the customized car, goes out on the town and Mary Poppins stands there pointing and laughing it's your fault unless you show him the design for the car he signed off with the words 'You'll look like a twat and a big arrow pointing to the passenger'

So get it done, understood and signed off. That way if it does come back to bite you, you're covered.

Comment

He's had the risks outlined in an email from myself already.

The requirements aren't his, they are someone else's but he's decided to step in and "sort it out".
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

He's had the risks outlined in an email from myself already.

The requirements aren't his, they are someone else's but he's decided to step in and "sort it out".
                    Forget email.

Get him to sign off a document with at least another senior signatory to your own.

Comment

Working...
                    X