• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can Accommodation be claimed fully as part of expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Accommodation be claimed fully as part of expenses

Hi,
    I am new to contracting and after searching this forum I still havent found an answer to my question.

I have put it claims for expenses such as my accommodation. I have a primary residence elsewhere and as such I am staying in hotels to do my job.

My umbrella company has told me that my Accommodation expenses are redemable and that i cant just get the whole amount back.

Could someone please shed some light on this

Thanks in advance

It seemed to me that hotels could be claimed, but flats could not. It really depends on what your local IR office are like though.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response,
      Looks like my umbrella company is telling me porkies.

I will speak to them again and see what they say

Cheers
      Asif

Comment

Originally posted by akhtara7
        My umbrella company has told me that my Accommodation expenses are redemable and that i cant just get the whole amount back.
        I'm sorry, what do you mean? I would imagine that you could claim the cost od accommodation as an expense. That would mean that you don't pay tax on that money before you get it.

This is of course different from the permie's case, where normally the employer just gives them the money (perhaps after a bit of a tussle).

Comment

Oh, ok i think i may be getting a little confused.

What i want to know is if i pay £150 p/w on rent then i can claim this whole amount back rather then just the tax on it?

Thanks
          Asif

Comment

Depends on the accountant...... (Darren where are you)

You put in an expenses claim and they pay you those tax free. All of it. It still comes out of the invoiced amount but no tax is paid on it.

Rent is arguable. I understand you can claim it 100% as long as it is directly to reduce hotel bills, but if you stay there for weekends or leave certain items there (dont ask what they are) then you can only claim effectively 5/7ths
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

No, the tax man doesn't actually pay the bill for you...

Earning = 1,000. pay tax and NI on 1,000. Ok?

Now if you spend 200 on hotel bill then that reduces the figure chargable to tax by 200. So you only pay tax and NI on the 800.

HTH.

Comment

Oh.
                Ok that makes a lot of sense, it pretty much what they were saying to me as well.

Thanks for the info

Asif

Comment

Originally posted by akhtara7
                  Hi,
                  I am new to contracting and after searching this forum I still havent found an answer to my question.

I have put it claims for expenses such as my accommodation. I have a primary residence elsewhere and as such I am staying in hotels to do my job.

Could someone please shed some light on this

Thanks in advance
                  Yes and No - you don't really think anything to do with tax is simple!

You can claim the entire cost of accomodation as long as the cost is wholly and exclusively for business.

In practical terms what this means is that if you stay in the accomodation for any reason other than business. The company must be re-imbursed the cost of the days not business related.

Say for example you stayed in a flat in london Sunday Evening to Friday. Went home for the Weekend Friday evening. You could charge the weeks rent to the company. However it you stayed down for the weekend to take in a show then you would then have to re-imburse the company the cost of the extra days.

Comment

Say for example you stayed in a flat in london Sunday Evening to Friday. Went home for the Weekend Friday evening. You could charge the weeks rent to the company. However it you stayed down for the weekend to take in a show then you would then have to re-imburse the company the cost of the extra days.
                    Depends. If your personal use is incidental and does not increase the cost then you weill generally be OK. Depends on the mood of the inspector. fwiw I've always claimed entire cost and put a bit through as BIK for when the family have come visiting.

It's a bit like the Oyster Card/Season Ticket/probably anything you can think of argument.

Comment

Working...
                    X