• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People skills and emotional intelligence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People skills and emotional intelligence

Do you use them in your job? I am working with 2 new BAs that have both successfully pissed off their customers and the programme manager. I actually spent an hour and half this morning being moaned at by one of them, and did the whole agony uncle bit.

Here is suity's guide to successfully keeping someone on side

1) Never call them a bastid.
    2) Do not shout.
    3) Do not slag them off to the rest of the team (it will get back to them, I promise)
    4) If you feel people are being unreasonable, tell them firmly. Do not under any circumstances tell them the way they are running the project is wrong and you will in time sort out their mistaken ways.
    5) Don't bluff. If you don't know, ask.
    6) Don't get offended when people tell you to stop bluffing.

Is it really that hard?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Glad to see I can still punch people

MarillionFan
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Glad to see I can still punch people

MarillionFan
      Actually, you cannot go around just punching people in the office. It's bound to get out and then you'll be in trouble with HR.

The normal protocol is to punch somebody and then threaten to kill them, their family, their families family and all of their friends.

This normally stops them from going to HR.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Actually, you cannot go around just punching people in the office. It's bound to get out and then you'll be in trouble with HR.

The normal protocol is to punch somebody and then threaten to kill them, their family, their families family and all of their friends.

This normally stops them from going to HR.
        Amateur.

Beat the HR Director to a bloody pulp and kidnap his kids. Then who cares what anyone else does?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Amateur.

Beat the HR Director to a bloody pulp and kidnap his kids. Then who cares what anyone else does?
          The above scenario did come to pass at a certain IT site near Glasgow.

The MD of the company famous for his boorish treatment of staff reacted to a comment by the head of HR - that he had no people skills (patently true) by punching the HR Director on the face and leaving him on the carpet.

A true and shameful story.

Comment

I worked at one place in Glasgow, and one of the guys in the team was outsourced from another company, but he had no kidneys, several failed transplants - on dialysis.

We're all sat in the office having an ad-hoc meeting as doom and gloom was falling, redundancies talked about, I was a contractor so not too bothered.

Kidney guy pipes up "Well I'm ok - I work for XYZ, at least I've still got a job.."

One of the girls retorts "Well, at least I've still got kidneys....."

Her face was a picture when she realised what she'd said, and the atmosphere turned a little sour....

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              The MD of the company famous for his boorish treatment of staff reacted to a comment by the head of HR - that he had no people skills (patently true) by punching the HR Director on the face and leaving him on the carpet.
              No doubt the one and only time an HR person has proved to be useful.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

threaten to kill them, their family, their families family and all of their friends
                And threaten to burn their house to the ground and piss on their ashes surely?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  And threaten to burn their house to the ground and piss on their ashes surely?
                  Don't forget the dog, you get more mileage out of threatening animals.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

aye

Milan.
                    Last edited by milanbenes; 28 February 2011, 19:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X