PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance ruling re women drivers

Alf W
1st March 2011, 11:59
More pointless rulings from Europe (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/European-Gender-Rules-Applied-To-Insurers-After-Court-Decision-Likely-To-Affect-Women-Drivers/Article/201103115943155?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Te aser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15943155_European_Gender_Rules_Applied _To_Insurers_After_Court_Decision_Likely_To_Affect _Women_Drivers).

Women drivers are facing a big hike in costs after the European court ruled insurance companies should not take gender into account when arranging cover.

Have these people got nothing better to do than debate and come up with utterly pointless and unenforceable legislation?

Isn't this just common sense? It's well known that women have more minor accidents due to their poorer spacial awareness and putting on make-up whilst driving whereas men are primarily responsible for most proper, major smashes.

Halo Jones
1st March 2011, 12:02
So when will they rule that you cannot charge more for younger drivers as it is ageist?

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 12:04
these people!

:tantrum:

AtW
1st March 2011, 12:06
So when will they rule that you cannot charge more for younger drivers as it is ageist?

Fook, we'll all now have to pay same insurance rates as 18 year old male trying to drive Subaru WRX :eek

shaunbhoy
1st March 2011, 12:07
So in the interests of even-handedness, women will get fleeced as well now?

:eyes

Halo Jones
1st March 2011, 12:10
Apparently the stats are that females will pay 25% more & male drivers will pay 10% less: who here really expects the insurance companies to discount the men? All that will happen is women will pay 35% more to match the men & the insurance companies will have a 20% bonus to profit.

AtW
1st March 2011, 12:11
Apparently the stats are that females will pay 25% more & male drivers will pay 10% less: who here really expects the insurance companies to discount the men? All that will happen is women will pay 35% more to match the men & the insurance companies will have a 20% bonus to profit.

:eek

So cynical!

Are you a female?

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 12:12
Will this cost people enough to free up a bit more space on the motorway?

MaryPoppins
1st March 2011, 12:16
Will this cost people enough to free up a bit more space on the motorway?

Whaddya you care? Chuck me a smoke and a pancake will you

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 12:18
Whaddya you care? Chuck me a smoke and a pancake will youThe ruling will apply to the whole of the EU, so I certainly care. I'm rather hoping that driving will become too expensive for about 20% of the population.

Halo Jones
1st March 2011, 12:20
:eek

So cynical!

Are you a female?

Yes but I do not pay for my car insurance (done via employer) I just believe that all insurance companies are thieving, back stabbing, conniving, money grabbing, spawn of Satan f******

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 12:21
I just believe that all insurance companies are thieving, back stabbing, conniving, money grabbing, spawn of Satan f******

Don't be so mild on them.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:23
I wonder if the same will apply to hairdressers' differential charging?

Pondlife
1st March 2011, 12:25

I thought a perm and highlights cost the same regardless fella. ;)

SueEllen
1st March 2011, 12:27

They aren't regulated.

However I bet a man and a woman who want the same hair cuts with the same length of hair at the beginning, would get backing from some equality "charity".

BTW Men are now screwed as well. This ruling means that you will get screwed on income protection insurance, health insurance, annuities and other pension products. Before men got a better deal on all of them.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:27
I thought a perm and highlights cost the same regardless fella. ;)

Not for us models. :wink

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:28
They aren't regulated.

However I bet a man and a woman who want the same hair cuts with the same length of hair at the beginning, would get backing from some equality "charity".

BTW Men are now screwed as well. This ruling means that you will get screwed on income protection insurance, health insurance, annuities and other pension products. Before men got a better deal on all of them.

What about life assurance?

SueEllen
1st March 2011, 12:29
What about life assurance?

Any "insurance" product that uses gender in the calculations is now f*&*ed.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:30

My point is that women currently get a better deal.

amcdonald
1st March 2011, 12:31

But they're all pointless products whose sole point is to generate commission for dodgy salesmen

Pondlife
1st March 2011, 12:32
Not for us models. :wink

Noooo, them's the ones they let the YTS trainee have a go on.

I hope for your sake the rats tail haircut comes back into style.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:36
Noooo, them's the ones they let the YTS trainee have a go on.

I hope for your sake the rats tail haircut comes back into style.

You just wish the trainee would 'have a go' on you.

And rats' tails are always in fashion.

Spacecadet
1st March 2011, 12:37
I've said it before but this ruling made me think of it again
Fantastic book Rob Grant about a Europe where all sorts of discrimination is illegal

Incompetence (Gollancz S.F.): Amazon.co.uk: Rob Grant: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incompetence-Gollancz-S-F-Rob-Grant/dp/0575074493/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298982960&sr=1-1)

Pondlife
1st March 2011, 12:38
You just wish the trainee would 'have a go' on you.

No, no I don't :o

And rats' tails are always in fashion.

Are you Welsh too?

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:39
Are you Welsh too?

I'm whatever you want me to be, honey.

shaunbhoy
1st March 2011, 12:41

Why not try witty then?

MaryPoppins
1st March 2011, 12:41

As in, it will affect actuarial calculations around life assurance etc too?

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 12:43
Will this mean that lots of insurance systems have to be tested to ensure they don't discriminate?

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:44
Why not try witty then?

Because you wouldn't notice.

Pondlife
1st March 2011, 12:45

Ok, you get your squirrel costume on and I'll pretend to be a russian businessman who's just received some facinating news about his lunch.

or do you want to play bullies and betwetters again?

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:45
Ok, you get your squirrel costume on and I'll pretend to be a russian businessman who's just recived some facinating news about his lunch.

or do you want to play bullies and betwetters again?

Let's do both.

shaunbhoy
1st March 2011, 12:47
Because you wouldn't notice.

Nonsense. The huge blip in the trademark flatlining mediocrity would stand out like a sore thumb.

MaryPoppins
1st March 2011, 12:49
Nonsense. The huge blip in the trademark flatlining mediocrity would stand out like a sore thumb.

Nah. I don't reckon you can really chuck that accusation in this case.

Halo Jones
1st March 2011, 12:49
Life related insurance’s (including pensions) tended to pay out more to men due to shorter life spans, so to make them equal they will pay out the same as women.

Basically any risk evaluation that uses gender is now illegal

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 12:52

It's OK, you know.

Paddy
1st March 2011, 12:57
I think the ruling is fair because in my experience, women often drive on a man’s insurance as a second driver. When the woman has an accident, the man then loses his no claim bonus. On all accidents in involving me, it has been women driver hitting the rear of the car while I was stationary. On three occasions the women drivers just drove off after the accident.

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 13:02
On all accidents in involving me, it has been women driver hitting the rear of the car while I was stationary. On three occasions the women drivers just drove off after the accident.

You didn't score then?

xoggoth
1st March 2011, 13:33
If they ruled that women and old people should drive a lot faster I'd be all in favour.

Churchill
1st March 2011, 13:46
Just think of all the brass we can make on bringing the insurance systems inline...

Another thing, can't we tell the ECoJ to go ***** themselves?
(respectfully of course)

wobbegong
1st March 2011, 13:51
Well I, for one, welcome this legislation. Anything that gets that f**king "Sheilas Wheels" advert of the telly gets my vote.

MarillionFan
1st March 2011, 13:57
So all that will happen is that by removing sex from the risk calculation should recalibrate the weightings associated with jobs.

So

Cook
Cleaner
Dishwasher
Prostitute
Housewife
Nurse
Secretary

Should still be lowly weighted.

SueEllen
1st March 2011, 14:01
So all that will happen is that by removing sex from the risk calculation should recalibrate the weightings associated with jobs.

So

Cook
Cleaner
Dishwasher
Prostitute
Housewife
Nurse
Secretary

Should still be lowly weighted.

But they can all have men doing them.

And any man with sense who say is a "Chef" is going to call himself a "Cook" if it gets him lower insurance premiums. This trick you can already legally utilise and I do ;)

Edited to say: My current insurer doesn't actually care about that they just class you in a skills category i.e. manual, professional, semi-professional

AtW
1st March 2011, 14:05
Edited to say: My current insurer doesn't actually care about that they just class you in a skills category i.e. manual, professional, semi-professional

And you, love, must be in squirrel haters group? :eyes

Pondlife
1st March 2011, 14:05
I think the word contractor is far better than prostitute. It's what I use on most forms.

I still need a long shower at the end of the day but it's worth it.

DodgyAgent
1st March 2011, 14:06
Women have been moaning about discrimination in particular in the work place for years with enormous success. It is conveniently ignored that women and men are different, particularly with regards to having children being mostly more important on a woman's agenda than work. This is why women are paid less,why they tend to work in convenient jobs such as HR, and why they do not work as directors of boards of companies. yet they scream that they want it both ways-equal pay, equal opportunities, no discrimination at the prospect of them going off and having children.

Well now they have it both ways, they can have the same pay and they can pay the same as men for their f***ing insurance.

AtW
1st March 2011, 14:07
Well now they have it both ways, they can have the same pay and they can pay the same as men for their f***ing insurance.

Just because your car insurance will go up it does not mean you can take it out on us :eyes

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 14:08
Women have been moaning about discrimination in particular in the work place for years with enormous success. It is conveniently ignored that women and men are different, particularly with regards to having children being mostly more important on a woman's agenda than work. This is why women are paid less,why they tend to work in convenient jobs such as HR, and why they do not work as directors of boards of companies. yet they scream that they want it both ways-equal pay, equal opportunities, no discrimination at the prospect of them going off and having children.

Still not getting any?

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 14:16
Women have been moaning about nothing in particular with enormous success since the dawn of time.

ftfy!

MarillionFan
1st March 2011, 14:20
But they can all have men doing them.
And any man with sense who say is a "Chef" is going to call himself a "Cook" if it gets him lower insurance premiums. This trick you can already legally utilise and I do ;)

Of course. But you're missing the point.

There will be a statisical weighting associated with jobs. Where they could be 50/50 then it wouldn't change, where there are more men (like computer programmer) then it would include the male weighting, where primary school teacher, then weighted towards women.

It will be inherent in jobs. Unless of course your unemployed.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 14:20
Women have been moaning about nothing in particular with enormous success since the dawn of time.

ftfy!

You just need to learn how to make them happy. :wink

Mich the Tester
1st March 2011, 14:21
You just need to learn how to make them happy. :wink

No that´s ´groaning´, which is almost the same, but different.

Old Greg
1st March 2011, 14:23
No that´s ´groaning´, which is almost the same, but different.

No, that's a sign you need to do something about that gut.

Halo Jones
1st March 2011, 14:23

Generalist but in some cases valid, my concern with it is the simple fact that we all will end up paying more & the only winners are the insurance :winker:

darmstadt
1st March 2011, 15:39
Great, time to ask for a rate rise seeing as I work at 2 insurance companies :grin

emma411
2nd March 2011, 10:35
Assuming Insurance providers are keeping female premiums low because the risk is lower than men, and not because they feel nice towards women. I'l look forward to my premium coming down as the premiums for each gender cross somewhere in the middle of where they are now.

TykeMerc
2nd March 2011, 11:12
Assuming Insurance providers are keeping female premiums low because the risk is lower than men, and not because they feel nice towards women. I'l look forward to my premium coming down as the premiums for each gender cross somewhere in the middle of where they are now.

If you think they will cross you're bonkers, they will simply equalise the premiums at the higher price.

Old Greg
2nd March 2011, 11:16
If you think they will cross you're bonkers, they will simply equalise the premiums at the higher price.

But then free market competition will find the right level. Maybe.

StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
2nd March 2011, 11:22
How will this affect the premiums of all those Hermaphrodites out there?

Old Greg
2nd March 2011, 11:30
How will this affect the premiums of all those Hermaphrodites out there?

They still keep their second driver discounts.

darmstadt
2nd March 2011, 11:35
Over here you insure your car slightly differently. There's none of this occupation/sex/other driver/whatever malarky, you insure the car and the rate depends on the car (model, bhp, your mileage per year, where it is normally parked, etc.), your age, no claims and thats it. Therefore that means anyone can drive it if allowed

SallyAnne
2nd March 2011, 11:38
Are you a female?

"a" female? :spank:

BlasterBates
2nd March 2011, 11:44
Over here you insure your car slightly differently. There's none of this occupation/sex/other driver/whatever malarky, you insure the car and the rate depends on the car (model, bhp, your mileage per year, where it is normally parked, etc.), your age, no claims and thats it. Therefore that means anyone can drive it if allowed

Are you sure?

LadyCarOnline KFZ Versicherung für die Frau; Haftpflicht Teilkasko Vollkasko Schutzbrief (http://www.ladycaronline.de/de/home/)