• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign drivers using loophole to pay only £100 for car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign drivers using loophole to pay only £100 for car insurance

Evening Standard:

THOUSANDS of foreign drivers in London are exploiting a legal loophole to avoid soaring car insurance costs as well as congestion and parking charges, it was claimed today.

An investigation reveals that growing numbers of east Europeans are registering and insuring their cars in Romania, where it can cost as little as £100 a year. These drivers also avoid paying traffic penalties because Transport for London is unable to identify them, according to the report on BBC1’s Inside Out London, to be broadcast today.

Car insurance rates in Britain have risen by 40 per cent in the past year, leading to a surge in fraud. One in 10 drivers in the capital has no insurance.

Alex Dettmar, 30, a Romanian furniture delivery driver who lives in Brent Cross, said: “I’m shocked by the price of insurance in the UK, considering it’s seven times cheaper to have it insured back home. So what do you do? I registered the car over there and use it on Romania numberplates — it’s legal.”

He drives on his £100-a-year Romanian insurance and plates, saving more than £700. But it is only legal for six months, so twice a year he takes his car on a day trip to Calais.

“The only reason for the trip is to get the car out of the country. It does not matter for how long,” said Mr Dettmar.

Police said thousands of drivers were using loopholes or breaking the law. Pc Ben Redpath, of Kent police said: “It’s a sad fact that they will chance it because they can’t afford the premiums.

“A lot of people are producing these Polish insurance certificates or Slovakian insurance certificates knowing full well we can’t check them, as we don’t have contact with Poland or Slovakia in terms of insurance companies. Claims against such foreign policies can be fraught with problems — parking tickets and congestion charge fines are also often ignored.”

Police hope cameras at Dover will help. “We have automatic number plate readers at the port so we can check when they have come in.”

A TfL spokesman said: “Any vehicle, regardless of where it is registered, which is identified within the congestion charging zone without a valid charge, discount or exemption can be subject to a penalty. TfL pursues penalties from foreign-registered vehicles.

“Recovering unpaid penalties in-curred by vehicles registered in some countries can be problematic.

“TfL does everything possible to ensure a consistent level of enforcement for all road users by using a European Debt Recovery Agency.

The agency has links with foreign vehicle licensing authorities and issues penalty charges.”

Inside Out London is on at 7.30pm tonight.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

But think of the benefit to the UK economy of all these clever immigrants. If only we had millions more we'd all be laughing with the rising prosperity and improved standard of living it all brings.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      But think of the benefit to the UK economy of all these clever immigrants. If only we had millions more we'd all be laughing with the rising prosperity and improved standard of living it all brings.
      Our cleaner is Polish, as is the gardener.
      We refurbished the house quickly, with top notch quality and paid a pittance to a team of Polish workers who worked solidly from 8am-8pm and hence did it in half the time.
      If I was not satisfied with any part of the work, they simply redid it, with a better Pole.

Brilliant guys. No wonder lazy Brits are on the dole.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Exploiting inability to identify is not a loophole.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          a team of Polish workers who worked solidly from 8am-8pm and hence did it in half the time.
          Mate, they just wanted to fook off that tulipy job as soon as possible and never see you again - can't blame 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Our cleaner is Polish, as is the gardener.
            We refurbished the house quickly, with top notch quality and paid a pittance to a team of Polish workers who worked solidly from 8am-8pm and hence did it in half the time.
            If I was not satisfied with any part of the work, they simply redid it, with a better Pole.

Brilliant guys. No wonder lazy Brits are on the dole.
            You sure they are Polish?

Lots of Eastern Europeans say they are Polish to Brits because Poles have a reputation of being hard working when in fact they are from Latvia, Bulgaria or wherever.

It's only if you notice that their language sounds a bit different you can catch them out.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Our cleaner is Polish, as is the gardener
              I daresay but why is any of that relevant?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You sure they are Polish?

Lots of Eastern Europeans say they are Polish to Brits because Poles have a reputation of being hard working when in fact they are from Latvia, Bulgaria or wherever.

It's only if you notice that their language sounds a bit different you can catch them out.
                Couldn't care less where they're from*, as long as they do a brilliant job for peanuts.

*Yes they were definitely Polish. they were there for a while and I got chatting to a couple who could speak English. Nice guys.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Mate, they just wanted to fook off that tulipy job as soon as possible and never see you again - can't blame 'em.
                  You just enjoy your bedsit, Student Grant, adults are talking now.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I daresay but why is any of that relevant?
                    Just pointing out that they're good for the economy, or at least my economy.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X