• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post blaggering depression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post blaggering depression

I don't know about you, but isn't contracting a fine line between under-selling and over-selling your skills?
    You find yourself on the phone to an agent or a prospective client and you've got to be able to say whether you've got the experience for a role literally within a split second of them asking you; otherwise they detect hesitation and won't have confidence in you. You have to say "yes I can do it" almost by default unless the skillset asked for is obviously way out of your area of expertise. But the trouble with this is that you get put forward for roles you are not suited to.

I've just come off the phone after being royally screwed over on this.

First question: "Have you ever installed X on Windows Server 2008?"
    My thinks "I can't bloody remember. I think I did something with it on 2003 but it was a long time ago".
    Then you get the rationalisation stage: "well there can't be much difference between 2003 and 2008 - I could probably work it out, and the client is in a rush. Go for it"
    My answer: "I've certainly installed it on 2003, but also once on 2008" (a little white lie, but let's keep the client happy).

Then a deluge of technical questions: "What's a mount-point" What's a ABC, what's a DEF. They really did need an "expert"!
    AAggrhhh!!

I gave up and said I didn't think I could help them.

Blagger.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      I don't know about you, but isn't contracting a fine line between under-selling and over-selling your skills?
      You find yourself on the phone to an agent or a prospective client and you've got to be able to say whether you've got the experience for a role literally within a split second of them asking you; otherwise they detect hesitation and won't have confidence in you. You have to say "yes I can do it" almost by default unless the skillset asked for is obviously way out of your area of expertise. But the trouble with this is that you get put forward for roles you are not suited to.

I've just come off the phone after being royally screwed over on this.

First question: "Have you ever installed X on Windows Server 2008?"
      My thinks "I can't bloody remember. I think I did something with it on 2003 but it was a long time ago".
      Then you get the rationalisation stage: "well there can't be much difference between 2003 and 2008 - I could probably work it out, and the client is in a rush. Go for it"
      My answer: "I've certainly installed it on 2003, but also once on 2008" (a little white lie, but let's keep the client happy).

Then a deluge of technical questions: "What's a mount-point" What's a ABC, what's a DEF. They really did need an "expert"!
      AAggrhhh!!

I gave up and said I didn't think I could help them.
      If I was ClientCo I would accept you cannot know every facet. A great track record, good exposure, ability to solve problems all go out of the window in the scenerio you paint.

Lucky escape my friend.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        If I was ClientCo I would accept you cannot know every facet. A great track record, good exposure, ability to solve problems all go out of the window in the scenerio you paint.

Lucky escape my friend.
        Awww thanks.

Time to cut back on the ambition a bit I think...

Comment

Working...
        X