PDA

View Full Version : Compare and contrast - Scientists are always right all the time, never question

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 12:17
Then (when it didn't snow much):
BBC NEWS | Scotland | 'Less snow and rain' for islands (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3092833.stm)

The amount of snow falling on Scotland's islands could drop by almost 90%, according to a report on global warming.

On the rocks: the grim forecast for winter sports as global warming increases | World news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/03/research.sciencenews)

Skiing and snowboarding may be Britain's fastest growing winter sports, but they could come to a muddy end this century as a lack of snow closes many of the world's top resorts, according to research published yesterday.
Up to half of all Switzerland's ski resorts could face economic hardship or bankruptcy because of global warming, according to the UN environment programme, and low-altitude resorts in Italy, Germany and Austria may have to move uphill or face a snowless future. Others may have to rely on snow-making machines. US ski resorts face similar challenges, while Australia could have no skiing at all by 2070.

Britain 'will gain from global warming' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1372780/Britain-will-gain-from-global-warming.html)

NORTHERN Europe will have fewer days of frost and snow and longer growing seasons because of global warming, according to a report published yesterday.

Southern European resorts would become too hot in summer and the land would become arid, it added. The report, by 30 international scientists for the European Commission, said that Britain could expect more flooding but could benefit from a reduced need for heating and better growing conditions for trees and crops.

Now (we've had some snow):

Climate Change Makes Major Snowstorms More Likely | Union of Concerned Scientists (http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/climate-change-makes-snowstorms-more-likely-0506.html)

Scientists: Global warming to blame for big U.S. snowstorms | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington, Vermont (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110302/NEWS04/110302017/Scientists-Global-warming-to-blame-for-big-U.S.-snowstorms)

Bangkok Post : Global warming means more snowstorms: scientists (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/224298/global-warming-means-more-snowstorms-scientists)

So, Global Warming means no snow, and then when we have a lot of snow, it means, we will get a lot of snow.

:laugh

Is the amount of tax we are paying to control carbon making is snow more or less now?

:laugh

shaunbhoy
2nd March 2011, 12:56
Any minute now someone with an IQ lower than a retarded cabbage will be along to tell you that you don't understand it all because you are a village idiot/cretin/moron/simpleton. You do know that don't you?

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 13:03
Any minute now someone with an IQ lower than a retarded cabbage will be along to tell you that you don't understand it all because you are a village idiot/cretin/moron/simpleton. You do know that don't you?

Yes, it's all about statistics.

Statistically speaking, the scientists all said it would get very warm and hence no snow, because, well it hadn't snowed very much, and statistically speaking, if the world is getting hotter, snow would melt wouldn't it?

But then ten years or so later it started snowing all over the world. A lot of snow, and so statistically speaking it was now snowing a lot more, so they are predicting a very hot world all covered in snow.

Law of averages, 'innit.

I'm just so glad all this Carbon tax has made it snow less/more* and helped mankind.

Delete as appropriate.

shaunbhoy
2nd March 2011, 13:05
Yes, it's all about statistics.

Statistically speaking, the scientists all said it would get very warm and hence no snow, because, well it hadn't snowed very much, and statistically speaking, if the world is getting hotter, snow would melt wouldn't it?

But then ten years or so later it started snowing all over the world. A lot of snow, and so statistically speaking it was now snowing a lot more, so they are predicting a very hot world all covered in snow.

Law of averages, 'innit.

I'm just so glad all this Carbon tax has made it snow less/more* and helped mankind.

Delete as appropriate.

Statistically speaking, they need to fabricate some more statistics before some more of the wheels fall off and even the uber-gullible chimps like sasguru begin to have doubts.

:wink

ThomasSoerensen
2nd March 2011, 13:14
Statistically speaking, they need to fabricate some more statistics before some more of the wheels fall off and even the uber-gullible chimps like sasguru begin to have doubts.

:wink

should climate predictions by scientists come with the disclaimer that past performance does not guarantee future performance, just like with those scammy stock and funds recommendations?

haha - climate scientists are now equal to stock analysts - haha

Gibbon
2nd March 2011, 13:15
Science is not exact hence the inappropiate use of the term atom.

I detest that haughty certainess expressed by many of the scientific elite.

shaunbhoy
2nd March 2011, 13:17
I see the retarded cabbage wannabe has started his own rival thread.

So easy...............fish in barrel easy in fact.

:music:

Mich the Tester
2nd March 2011, 13:17
Can anyone suggest a worthwhile alternative for science?

shaunbhoy
2nd March 2011, 13:19
Can anyone suggest a worthwhile alternative for science?

Shaken Chicken Bones..................statistically they can prove/disprove anything

HTH

sasguru

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 13:19
Latest IPCC chart.

http://www.hyscience.com/global-warming.jpg

thunderlizard
2nd March 2011, 13:34
Likewise,
people keep telling me that it's going to get sunnier over the next 3-6 months. I don't believe a word of it, because when I looked out of the window at 3:00 this morning it was completely pitch black.

ThomasSoerensen
2nd March 2011, 13:52
Likewise,
people keep telling me that it's going to get sunnier over the next 3-6 months. I don't believe a word of it, because when I looked out of the window at 3:00 this morning it was completely pitch black.

there is global warming every day from sunrise to sunset and then a furious start of a mini ice age from sunset to sunrise - every change should cause panic and taxation I guess.

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 14:04
Global warming does not mean that the whole planet is warming uniformly, how could it? Science moves on, our understanding now is better than it was when the press reports from the best part of a decade ago appeared. Get used to it.

So you (scientists) were completely and absolutely 100% wrong less than 10 years ago, but today, with the complete polar opposite view and "predicitions" you are 100% right?

Or are you saying you didn't have a clue then and we can put no faith in your "predictions" now?

In other words, your science is worth :winker: and tells us nothing.

Mich the Tester
2nd March 2011, 14:06
In other words, your science is worth :winker: and tells us nothing.

Science moves on. If scientists had all the answers they'd stop.

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 14:06
And can anyone question any of this ongoing contradiction, or is the science "settled" and we are all akin to holocaust deniers?

Doggy Styles
2nd March 2011, 14:09
But then ten years or so later it started snowing all over the world. A lot of snow, and so statistically speaking it was now snowing a lot more, so they are predicting a very hot world all covered in snow.Did you like my pictures of submarines bobbing about in open water at the north pole in the days before global warming made the ice too thick?

Mich the Tester
2nd March 2011, 14:10
And can anyone question any of this ongoing contradiction, or is the science "settled" and we are all akin to holocaust deniers?

Science is never 'settled'.

No you are not akin to holocaust deniers. I wouldn't equate a difference of opinion on the causes of climate variations to denying genocide.

DimPrawn
2nd March 2011, 14:11
Science moves on. If scientists had all the answers they'd stop.

Brilliant!

Win win.

Perhaps they'll just flip-flop back and forth to fit the data / weather / climate as they see fit.

It's all CO2 innit. Makes it snow, not snow, hot, then cold, then hot, rain then drought, and sometimes it doesn't do anything is all stays the same.

ARC - Anthropogenic Random Climate.

Save the world from a randomly changing climate, that can't be predicted or controlled!

sasguru
2nd March 2011, 14:22
Brilliant!

Win win.

Perhaps they'll just flip-flop back and forth to fit the data / weather / climate as they see fit.

It's all CO2 innit. Makes it snow, not snow, hot, then cold, then hot, rain then drought, and sometimes it doesn't do anything is all stays the same.

ARC - Anthropogenic Random Climate.

Save the world from a randomly changing climate, that can't be predicted or controlled!

God you really are very thick indeed, aren't you?
BTW have you immunised your children yet? There are some dissenting voices about child immunization you know.
:laugh:laugh:laugh

EternalOptimist
2nd March 2011, 14:23
Science is never 'settled'.

No you are not akin to holocaust deniers. I wouldn't equate a difference of opinion on the causes of climate variations to denying genocide.

hang on just a minute. I may not be a holocaust denier, but can I at least be akin to a child abuser for flying across the Atlantic ? please

:rolleyes:

Mich the Tester
2nd March 2011, 14:24
hang on just a minute. I may not be a holocaust denier, but can I at least be akin to a child abuser for flying across the Atlantic ? please

no

EternalOptimist
2nd March 2011, 14:44
Anyways, I dont think we are talking about scientists. We are talking about climate scientists, and not even all of those.

We are talking about a group of people who rely on models and statistical analysis instead of field work and measurements, who rely on the old boy network instead of peer review, who rely on propoganda instead of free thinking, who try to bully and browbeat instead of listening, and who believe the most important thing is to feel rather than know.