• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wake up call for AtW

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up call for AtW

Buying a house is cheaper than renting - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance

It was 38pc cheaper to buy a typically first-time buyer home than to rent one in Walsall, while typical rents were 35pc higher than mortgage payments on a two-bedroom home in Birmingham, based on an interest rate of 5pc.

Will he ever learn?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

It was 38pc cheaper to buy a typically first-time buyer home than to rent one in Walsall, while typical rents were 35pc higher than mortgage payments on a two-bedroom home in Birmingham, based on an interest rate of 5pc.

Will he ever learn?
    "... according to property website Zoopla.co.uk." Unbiased source, then.

Oh, and it compares rentals to interest-only mortgages, without taking into account any other costs of owning vs renting.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

Oh, and it compares rentals to interest-only mortgages, without taking into account any other costs of owning vs renting.
      In the longest period of unchanged low interest rates since the 1930s....

Comment

to me its a no-brainer I rented for years and since buying my flat have had the same outgoings and I'm not on an interest only so it was either pay someone elses mortgage or pay my own. plus the other thing about renting is if you get evicted it is almost impossible to get your deposit back before you're required to put a deposit down for a new place so you need ready capital which can be over a grand

from a purely financial point of view (at least where I live) renting is lunacy (I did it for 8 years!)
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
          to me its a no-brainer I rented for years and since buying my flat have had the same outgoings and I'm not on an interest only so it was either pay someone elses mortgage or pay my own. plus the other thing about renting is if you get evicted it is almost impossible to get your deposit back before you're required to put a deposit down for a new place so you need ready capital which can be over a grand

from a purely financial point of view (at least where I live) renting is lunacy (I did it for 8 years!)
          In your situation it looks like a good deal. In mine it does not.

I own (on a mortgage), but for non-monetary reasons, not because I thought it was a good deal. I paid 20% deposit and then have to pay over twice the equivalent rental amount in mortgage. Admittedly if I could find a lender to give me a good rate on a 100% mortgage lasting until I'm 85 then it would be better!

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
            In the longest period of unchanged low interest rates since the 1930s....
            That is already part of the given calculation, not an additional point as I was making.

Comment

That is already part of the given calculation, not an additional point as I was making.
              My point was it's not a fair comparison. Buying on interest only might look cheap now, but increase interest rates by 1 or 2 points and the picture is very different.

Comment

Particularly the cost of moving from one end of the country or to a foreign country which does happen.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Will he ever learn?
                  We have about 800 years' experience of purchasing property in this country. So with say 100 regulars, CUK collectively has about 80,000 years' experience.

And yet AtW, with his paltry 10 years experience, if that, spurns all our sage advice.

So in short the answer is, no.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                    My point was it's not a fair comparison. Buying on interest only might look cheap now, but increase interest rates by 1 or 2 points and the picture is very different.
                    Ah, yes, sorry didn't get it. Good point.

Comment

Working...
                    X