• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Excel gurus out there?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Excel gurus out there?

I need to tidy up an active directory environment and want to delete old computer accounts from AD.
    I've got 4 lists of computer names from different scripts and reports which I have now got in Excel on 4 different worksheets.
    I have a list of 1200 machine names which I want to search against the other 3 lists to see if the names appear within any of these other lists.
    Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to achieve this within Excel or anything else.
    I'm thinking of pivot tables or VLookup?
    Any ideas gratefully received!
    Last edited by Jefferson; 2 March 2011, 14:45.

Yes, VLookup is what you want. Easiest if you consolidate your 3 lists into a single column (probably with another column alongside it, stating which list each row came from) - that way you can get everything in a single range, and do your VLookup against that.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Yes, VLookup is what you want. Easiest if you consolidate your 3 lists into a single column (probably with another column alongside it, stating which list each row came from) - that way you can get everything in a single range, and do your VLookup against that.
      Thanks for the reply - I'll give it a go

Comment

Funnily enough I'm doing a very similar thing across AD, Meta directory and NT domains as part of a clean prior to a big Identity and Access Management piece going in. I won't say it's stretched my data analysis abilities to the limit but it's been tricky at times.

You going to suspend the accounts first to check if they're in use?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
          Funnily enough I'm doing a very similar thing across AD, Meta directory and NT domains as part of a clean prior to a big Identity and Access Management piece going in. I won't say it's stretched my data analysis abilities to the limit but it's been tricky at times.

You going to suspend the accounts first to check if they're in use?
          Yep - Going to disable the accounts, move them to a seperate OU and then see if anyone shouts!
          Shouldn't be too many issues as got reports from WSUS, Symantec Management console etc so can cross reference results.

Comment

Code:
            =vlookup([thing_searching_for],[cell_range],1,0)
            That should do it and put the machine name next to the searched for name for comparison.

Thing searching for is a single cell = "C2" the cell range is the thing your looking for. Put all machine names in one column and just set that to the column letter e.g. C:C so it searches the whole column.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Code:
              =vlookup([thing_searching_for],[cell_range],1,0)
              That should do it and put the machine name next to the searched for name for comparison.

Thing searching for is a single cell = "C2" the cell range is the thing your looking for. Put all machine names in one column and just set that to the column letter e.g. C:C so it searches the whole column.
              Thanks for the reply Sockpuppet.
              Found a couple of sample formulas very similar to yours & now up & running - Thanks for your help.

Comment

I remember in my accountancy days in late 80's/early 90's we used Lotus 123 for DOS, slash, file, open, still fresh in my mind.

Then we got Windows and totally couldn't see the point! Still can't...

Bet Lotus 123 for DOS still does 90% of what Excel does now....

God I sound like my dad.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Bet Lotus 123 for DOS still does 90% of what Excel does now....

God I sound like my dad.....
                  I bet it doesn't

I do bet however that Lotus 123 for DOS still does 90% of what you want Excel to do
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I bet it doesn't

I do bet however that Lotus 123 for DOS still does 90% of what you want Excel to do
                    That's right!

All I want it to do is take away my expenses from my income!

I remember in my old support days, this user had an issue with Excel - 'stek, I've found a bug in Excel, cell C22 doesn't work, doesn't get added in the sum formula...'

He was right too - he'd formatted it as text.

This was the same guy who made me install Office 4.3 extra bits, Professional instead of Standard was it? Anyway - 32 floppy disks cos he 'needed' Access. Installed it for him, we fired it up and he says 'Right, what does it do?'

Seventeen years ago I think!

Comment

Working...
                    X