• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to abandon dollars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to abandon dollars?

(and perhaps £s too) and stick it all on gold?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Any particular reason? Links?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What currency is gold typically bought and sold in?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Any particular reason? Links?
        Dollars just keep falling - even against the pound. Gold price in USD hit another record high today.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Hungarian Forints.

HTH

SASGuru
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Yuan?
            "The more the market becomes concerned about inflation or concerns about unrest in Africa, more and more people will look to Buy Gold," reckons UBS global commodities strategist Peter Hickson, claiming that Gold Bullion sales to China topped 200 tonnes in the first two months of this year.

China's total private purchases in 2010 reached a record 580 tonnes, according to London's GFMS consultancy.

"Chinese interest is huge," agrees Bank of Nova Scotia's head of precious metals in Hong Kong, Peter Tse, saying that "Demand for physical gold and imports increased substantially" in the run-up to last month's Chinese New Year celebrations – a traditional season for gift-giving and 'auspicious' investment.
            Inflation & Oil Risks "Driving People to Buy Gold" as Chinese Demand Jumps, Global Silver Investment Swells 2.5% Week-on-Week | Gold News
            apart from the sold part. It's all buy, buy, buy.

Comment

Comment

Time to abandon dollars?
                Yes.

And do tell me where you left them...

Comment

Well, unless we are facing global meltdown a la 1930s I think it's a bit of a bubble. There might be some further short term gain but it will all unwind once the real world starts getting normal again.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The reason could be that the Chinese central bank will now conduct all transactions in Yuan and not in Dollar. Last week in the US they discovered that China holds a lot more dollars than they thought. Apparently China is now the biggest creditor, in the US because the purchases were in London they'd previously been attributed to the European Union. So it looks like, after all the protectionist blustering over the last few months in the US, China is enjoying "tweaking" their nose a bit.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 March 2011, 08:04.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X