• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on change of direction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on change of direction

I'm coming up to the end of my contract and for the first time in five years I can afford to take a break whilst I look.

I've got 20 years in in embedded systems (and some PC GUIs) currently writing drivers on Mobile phones, but I'm looking to do something different.

But ATM I'm only getting picked up for 'more of the same' (and I've so far rejected two offers on this basis). And it isn't even the agents who are knocking me back, it's the ****ing clients.

I go for a job: drivers on Set Top Boxes (or MP3 players) and the response is no STB (MP3) experience.

I go for middleware jobs on mobiles and the response is: no recent middleware exp (I have done it before).

It didn't used to be this hard to change track (otherwise I'd never had got the GUI exp).

I've seen posts on here about people just walking into jobs in other areas.
    It that really happening for them in the current market, or is it what happened in the Dot Con era?

Apart from blatantly lying on my CV, does anyone have any useful tips as to how I can change direction and do something different.

Tim

Your CV has only one function - to get you an interview. It has to get you past the resourcer, the agent, and finally the HR dept. If you feel you can convince a client of your genuine capabilities then you shouldn't feel guilty about a creatively worded phrase on your CV.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The only way you can change track really is if you have some strong skill in one area they really need and at the same time you can pick up something new, so say you have in depth knowledge of the RT5_X protocol and a client needs to adapt it for MP3 players you'll probably get the job even if you've never worked on MP3 players.

...but MP3 players, mobile phones ...won't you be bored after the initial excitement of learning the differences; sounds all the same to me.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Mobile phones are wank, move into SAP^H^H^H.Net you know it makes sense.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I moved from techie to manager in the last year. I had worked with many lazy managers who always delegated everything so I included all management tasks on my CV for each contract and lessened the techie skills. Removed "Team Leading" and replaced with "Managed". In short just put more emphasis on the area I wanted to move to - without telling porkies or over exagerating.

I have also included on my CV projects funded by my own Ltd Co - it is all there to be seen on the CV ie name of my company but no client has ever asked who owns that company and I would tell them the truth if they asked anyway. My own company is my place of work and that experience is just as valid as a permie's place of work.

Comment

.Net mate,

it's the future

nice one,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              .Net mate,

it's the future

nice one,

Milan.
              I'm well aware of that M :-).

But my question was not, "Where should I go", but
              "What is the techniques I should use to get there"?

Thanks to the poster of the other, more helpful reply.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                I'm well aware of that M :-).

But my question was not, "Where should I go", but
                "What is the techniques I should use to get there"?

Thanks to the poster of the other, more helpful reply.

tim
                If you can afford a break, why not use the money and time to do a course on the environment/technology that you now wish to be associated?

Churchill - In "It's not fecking difficult" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  .Net mate,

it's the future

nice one,

Milan.
                  Of course you need two years experience in ASP .net to get the basic jobs (or at least it seems that way).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

do the courses,

get the MSDN certification and you're sorted

contracts galore

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X