• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the stupidest thing you've done as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the stupidest thing you've done as a contractor

Just wondering what idiotic things you're prepared to own up to, are?

I'll start with myself, last night: Agent calls saying the client is really impressed with my CV, and would I like to add a few lines in an email to him to describe what I've done in my most recent contract.

So I opens up my email client app and start typing, when I have a brainwave: Instead of typing stuff, why don't I send him the report I wrote for my last client saying what I'd fixed and how. That'll impress the new client!

It was only after clicking "Send" that I realised, apart from the fact that that report could be deemed confidential to the client, it also contained the email addresses to most of the directors of said client, who are probably this minute being bombarded by sales calls from said agent and his side kicks.

Awww crap!

Mine = joining CUK.

^ That's pretty moronic, BTW.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      Just wondering what idiotic things you're prepared to own up to, are?
      I was at ClientCo sending a personal email to a friend organising a weekend night out with our respective partners.

i was about to click send when I realised he'd changed his email address, so I right-clicked on his email address and opened the contact. I added the new email to contact 2 and deleted the email address held in contact 1.

For some reason, Outlook decided to email the email to the entire company and every company distribution list - most of which I (as a consultant) didn't have access to.

I believe I found a bug in Outlook though......!!!

I'd only been at the company a month or so and the resulting email chaos that ensued made me believe I would be walked off-site (I'd referred to the fairer sex as 'birds' in the email), but the company was remarkably forgiving!!
      And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Probably getting a bit giddy with my new contractor salary and spending £7K on a 10 day holiday with my (now ex) wife and daughter last year.

Not end of the world stuff, really, but wish I'd been a bit more sensible. Especially now when I'm working towards building up the warchest.

Comment

Went darkside for 8 months
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
            Probably getting a bit giddy with my new contractor salary and spending £7K on a 10 day holiday with my (now ex) wife and daughter last year.
            Nowt silly about spending money on memories and experiences with your family.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Extending my current gig with LBG must be up there with the really ******' dumb things I've done

Although I'm saying that now with 20/20 hindsight. They brought a new touchy feely prog manager in who talks about leveraging the position and synergies and quick wins. ****.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Extending my current gig with LBG must be up there with the really ******' dumb things I've done

Although I'm saying that now with 20/20 hindsight. They brought a new touchy feely prog manager in who talks about leveraging the position and synergies and quick wins. ****.
                That is certainly the stupidest thing anyone could do!!!

Which touchy feely PM was it? There a few I might call "touched" but not touchy feely.
                Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                  That is certainly the stupidest thing anyone could do!!!

Which touchy feely PM was it? There a few I might call "touched" but not touchy feely.
                  He's new, only been around a couple of weeks, contractor too, but acts like a senior permmie with his leverage & synergies

I confidently predict he gets a boot in the stones the first time we have a night out I've decided to leverage your bollocks with my foot and this will be a quick win, for me
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Answering the phone half asleep, and scribbling down on the back of an envelope some interview details dictated by an agent.

By the day of the interview the next week I had lost the bit of paper and forgotten who the contact was, and the agent/agency.

Clientco was too large to turn up and announce that I had anterview with "someone", and that wouldn't have looked too good anyway.

Moral of the story for agents is always to email an interview confirmation, and for me not to lose bits of paper.

It was a pretty juicy contract too, good rate and close to home. But I had no choice but to blow them out, and never heard back.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X