• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

physical aggression in work

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

physical aggression in work

Hi all
    I am a girl of 27 years and this morning a coworker assaulted me. He is a man. Everything happened in front of my manager, but this man has not been fired and I have went for home. Calmer once I have sent a mail to my boss and I told him what happened and I'm not willing to return to work if this man is not fired. To my surprise, my boss has responded to the mail that have made this man a Disciplinary warning. Following that to me written: You may resume work with the confidence, knowing that this man will not be in your proximity, and his contract has been reduced to maintenance work only.
    Is this legal? Because I'm Spanish and in my country this happens and that is an immediate dismissal for the aggressor. Anyone can help me? Thank you very much beforehand

Assault is a criminal offence. If I were in your position I would call the police.
    If everything happened in front of your manager, why did you email your boss? Are they different people?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well, mimi - not sure General is the best place for this, but I'm not sure it fits elsewhere either...
      Assuming this is for real - you should speak to HR - the company should have clear policies and procedures for harassment and grievance in place, which may apply here. The nature of the assault, whether there were witnesses to it - and many other factors will need to be considered.

Whether you're contractor or perm - there are normally procedures in place that you can turn to. If you have some difficulties with English then I recommend a bilingual intermediary, whether provided by the company or through your own network.

I'm not a lawyer, but you should not tolerate anything of this kind. If you've been assaulted you are perfectly within your rights to press charges, regardless of the company's position.

Comment

The boss's email provides the proof that he witnessed, or at least acknowledged the incident. The police will do the rest, good luck m'dear
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Your employer has a duty of care for its employees and people who work on their behalf. It seems obvious that they have not fulfilled their duty so they may also have a case to answer if you wish to take this further.

Do we not have a tame HR Harpy who can help here?

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi984 View Post
            Hi all
            I am a girl of 27 years and this morning a coworker assaulted me. He is a man. Everything happened in front of my manager, but this man has not been fired and I have went for home. Calmer once I have sent a mail to my boss and I told him what happened and I'm not willing to return to work if this man is not fired. To my surprise, my boss has responded to the mail that have made this man a Disciplinary warning. Following that to me written: You may resume work with the confidence, knowing that this man will not be in your proximity, and his contract has been reduced to maintenance work only.
            Is this legal? Because I'm Spanish and in my country this happens and that is an immediate dismissal for the aggressor. Anyone can help me? Thank you very much beforehand
            This is legal.

They can't immediately dismiss the aggressor they have to go through formal steps for gross misconduct. The can immediately suspend the guy though.

Whatever they do very much depends on the company's policies.

Most companies just don't want to be sued by their employees either the aggressor or the victim of the aggression as solicitors' bills are expensive. Therefore they have to make it look like they are following employment law procedures on both sides. I personally know of a case where a guy assaulted 3 woman and a gay man within 4 months, then was only dismissed on the last incident as there were bruises.

Only you know your employer's (as in the wider company's) polices so the choice is yours on how you want to procedure.

Have a talk with HR. If you think they are giving you the brush off i.e. are not giving you a firm indication of how they are going to proceed, then book a free 30 minute consultation with an employment lawyer. You need to act immediately if you doubt HR will do things as there are time limits for things if you do have to take legal action. Once you have, have another meeting with HR indicating that you are going to take legal action against the company and the manager for not acting appropriately, then they will definitely do something. (The way employment law stands it's actually easier for you to go after the company and manager than the aggressor)

You can report it to the police but the police are unlikely to do anything unless you went to hospital due to the assault, as the assault is covered by another law i.e. employment law. However regardless it's worth reporting.

Edited to say: I know more than one person who has been assaulted at work. The last one being one of my neighbours' late last year. His workplace wasn't going to act until I pointed out that he was covered under the Disability Discrimination Act due to having had a long term illness. He went to an employment solicitor for a free consultation and reported back to his workplace HR. They acted immediately and the aggressor was "removed" from his post and relocated to a place 20 miles away, but the aggressor decided to resign. My neighbour's case was worse because the aggressor was trying to trump him with a race discrimination claim but unfortunately forgot the fact that there were bystanders not employed by the same company.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 4 March 2011, 07:28.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the OP is a weird spammer - 'she' threw this post right through all the forums earlier in the evening but this one got let through.

Just so you know....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...&client=safari
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I think the OP is a weird spammer - 'she' threw this post right through all the forums but this one got let through.

Just so you know....
                Heeerrrrreeee's Lucy!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Heeerrrrreeee's Lucy!
                  Anyone heard from Lucy?

I kind of miss having her around, she gave me a good run for my money - kind of pity and envious of her partner at the same time. Bed she does some pretty full on domination!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    Anyone heard from Lucy?

I kind of miss having her around, she gave me a good run for my money - kind of pity and envious of her partner at the same time. Bet she does some pretty full on domination!!
                    Pity you'll never know.

Comment

Working...
                    X