• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you upgrade a machine from Windows 1.0 to 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you upgrade a machine from Windows 1.0 to 7?

Apparently you can but not sure why you'd want to.

Geeky sorts love it. I know a bloke with a roomfull of old machines, Ataris, BBCs, ZX81 etc.

Gave him a couple of QLs and a Spectrum. I will probably regret it when they start apreciating. Working floppies of DOS 5.0 will probably be worth £200 some day.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

This is one area MS don't get the credit they deserve. When you consider the efforts they go to for backwards compatibility, it's somewhat amazing modern Windows works at all.

Windows 95? No problem. Nice new 32 bit API, but it still ran old 16 bit software perfectly. Microsoft obsessed about this, spending a big chunk of change testing every old program they could find with Windows 95. Jon Ross, who wrote the original version of SimCity for Windows 3.x, told me that he accidentally left a bug in SimCity where he read memory that he had just freed. Yep. It worked fine on Windows 3.x, because the memory never went anywhere. Here's the amazing part: On beta versions of Windows 95, SimCity wasn't working in testing. Microsoft tracked down the bug and added specific code to Windows 95 that looks for SimCity. If it finds SimCity running, it runs the memory allocator in a special mode that doesn't free memory right away. That's the kind of obsession with backward compatibility that made people willing to upgrade to Windows 95.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Apparently you can but not sure why you'd want to.
        The Guardian chopped the video size down there. 'Twas better watched direct on Youtube.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Why do you need to start with Dos 5?

Windoze ran happily enough on 3.3.
          From the comments on the Grauniad article:

He did cheat somewhat though. If he had used DOS 3.1 which was the version available when Win1.0 was released this would not have worked as it lacked a proper memory manager. A third party memory manager (like QEMM) would have to have been used.
          Yikes, I remember that memory management stuff. QEMM had a version which totally screwed the system, but before I could get on the phone to them the postman arrived with a replacement copy.

MS managed to muck that area up too at one point.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            This is one area MS don't get the credit they deserve. When you consider the efforts they go to for backwards compatibility, it's somewhat amazing modern Windows works at all.
            WHS. And they did it again when they did an enormous amount of work to make sure home users would still be able to play games on Windows XP, the first of the "proper" versions of Windows (i.e. Windows NT) to be aimed at everybody.

Though it has to be said that things might have been better if they'd been able to do what Apple did and go at their users and developers and invent a new platform, but then that's the price of success.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

amusingly the only time I ever saw windows XP blue screen (for something other than a catastrophic hardware failure) was whilst playing SimCity 4
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Geeky sorts love it. I know a bloke with a roomfull of old machines, Ataris, BBCs, ZX81 etc.

Gave him a couple of QLs and a Spectrum. I will probably regret it when they start apreciating. Working floppies of DOS 5.0 will probably be worth £200 some day.
                I know what you mean.

I was having a clear out a few months ago and stuck a brand new MS Intellimouse on eBay.

Got an email during the listing from a potential buyer asking if the mouse box was still in good condition and sealed which it was.

He eventually bought the mouse and, when looking at his feedback rating, turns out he collected computer keyboard and mice as that was all he bought.

Perhaps he had a museum in his house.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Geeky sorts love it. I know a bloke with a roomfull of old machines, Ataris, BBCs, ZX81 etc. ..
                  Richard Cranium uses machines like those for his web servers.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    A friend of mine worked for MS in the app compatability team for a few years. It's a huge group in Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X