• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When is the weather going to warm up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is the weather going to warm up?

It's a miserly 2 degrees C outside at the moment and I'm bored with these consistently lower than average temperature winters we've been having, they just go on relentlessly. Starting in about November. And summer lasts what, about 3 days?

The weathermen said this winter was only 1.3C cooler than average, and was warmer than last year, though it felt cooler than that to me. Cooler than the averages I've been looking at on the weather sites too, so perhaps their average is worked out over a different time period.

And according to weatherman time, it's spring now. A brave bud it would be that would stick its petals out yet, despite an apparent precession of the seasons.

Interesting weather tid-bit. You often hear people cite the reason the UK enjoys fairly temperature winters for our latitude being due to warming from the gulf stream. Well, another reason is that the wind blows mainly from the west at our latitude, which is ocean. If it blew from the east, mainly over land, we'd feel distinctly more chilly, even with presence of the gulf stream.

Just saying like.

Comment

That's a nice shovel.

Comment

11 degrees forecast for here today, been t-shirt weather this week.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          That's a nice shovel.
          Aye and it's very overcast for a non rainy day.

Comment

It's all women in short skirts and hotpants down here this week, looks like they think summer is around the corner
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Interesting weather tid-bit. ..
              titbit

Unless you're a Septic, with an aversion to typing "tit".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                titbit

Unless you're a Septic, with an aversion to typing "tit".
                Correct(ish)

tit-bit | tid-bit, n.

Pronunciation: /ˈtɪtˌbɪt/ /ˈtɪdˌbɪt/
                Etymology: In 17th cent., tyd bit, tid-bit, < tid adj. + bit n.1; later also tit-bit, perhaps after compounds of tit n.3

tid-bit is now chiefly N. Amer.

Home : Oxford English Dictionary (which you can get free access if you join a library)

Comment

Working...
                X