• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy 30th Birthday, ZX81

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 30th Birthday, ZX81

5 March 2011, marks the 30th anniversary of the arrival of the machine that did more to awaken ordinary Britons to the possibilities offered by home computing: the Sinclair ZX81.

While its successor, the Sinclair Spectrum, got the nation playing computer games, the ZX81 was the tipping point that turned the home computer from nerd hobby into something anyone could buy and use.

Sir Clive Sinclair would later say his Science of Cambridge company - later Sinclair Research - developed its first computers to make the money needed to fund other projects closer to his heart: the portable TV and what would become the infamous C5 electric car.
    Sinclair ZX81: 30 years old tomorrow ? reghardware

I never had one. Or a Spectrum. Or a C5.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

ZX81.

Pah, new fangled fashion gadget.

I built a ZX80 from a kit when I was 14.

Comment

I did buy one along with the 16k rampack thingie. Lots of fun
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Any true geek had a 128k ram pack

Then had a speccie

The QL seemed a bit of a damb squib at the time, but looking back it wasn't that bad. I just never bought one
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          Any true geek had a 128k ram pack
          RAM pack, printer and, wait for it, a Memotech keyboard. All in the loft in their original packaging.

Comment

Happy birthday!
            A shame that there are no longer any computers whose keys you can press just by blowing hard on them.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Sinclair ZX81: 30 years old tomorrow ? reghardware

I never had one. Or a Spectrum. Or a C5.
              ZX81 Download Page

For your PC, ZX81 emulator and games etc
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                ZX81 Download Page

For your PC, ZX81 emulator and games etc
                3D Monster Maze, ah nostalgia isn't what it used to be
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  3D Monster Maze, ah nostalgia isn't what it used to be
                  3D Monster Maze was the killer app for the ZX81

I was an Acorn chap myself, but I remember looking at the screenshots in the computer mags and thinking that there was nothing of that kind for the Atom. Ah well, we got Elite first on the Beeb a few years down the line

As the Wikipedia article I link to above points out, the canonical way of distributing a machine code program for the ZX81 was to embed it in line 0 of a BASIC program as the content of a REM statement that caused the BASIC interpreter to treat the Z80 code as a comment; the rest of the BASIC program took care of any startup housekeeping, and the system wouldn't allow you to edit line 0 as 0 was an illegal line number in BASIC. Upon such recondite hackery was the entire "computer revolution" founded

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    3D Monster Maze was the killer app for the ZX81

I was an Acorn chap myself, but I remember looking at the screenshots in the computer mags and thinking that there was nothing of that kind for the Atom. Ah well, we got Elite first on the Beeb a few years down the line
                    I bought a Commodore 64 just to play Elite and all these years later I still get the urge sometimes.
                    Last edited by Cliphead; 6 March 2011, 09:56.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X