• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK energy use fell by 5% in eight years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK energy use fell by 5% in eight years

The UK is one of the top performers in Europe on energy efficiency, according to a European Commission report .

Energy use fell by more than 5% from 2000 to 2008 in the UK – the only major European economy to see a drop. Germany's consumption held level, while France's rose 7%. Overall, energy use in the 27 EU countries increased by more than 4%.

Britain also scores highly on energy intensity, a measure of how much power is used to generate every euro's worth of economic output.

Only Denmark and Ireland used less energy per unit of GDP, according to the draft document, sections of which have been seen by the Guardian.The "energy per GDP" measure is affected by the UK economy's reliance on the banking sector, which is light on carbon dioxide emissions.

Overall, the EU cut its energy intensity by 10% over the eight years.

Source: UK energy use fell by 5% in eight years | Environment | The Guardian

----

OH FFS - of course if you decimate your industry then your energy use and CO2 emissions would drop!!!

So the energy companies putting up gas bills and the petrol taxes have helped. -
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Plus the number of companies shutting up shop...
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
      X