• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent appeal - please help save Spain from disaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent appeal - please help save Spain from disaster

Spanish housing minister appeals to British buyers to return - Telegraph

Beatriz Corredor, the Spanish housing secretary, promised new planning laws to end the confusion which has led to some British home owners being ordered to knock down their properties deemed to have been illegally built.

“Come here calmly, and trust in the system that we have and the transparency we provide,” she said.

“There is a very attractive offer on the table here, with prices significantly lower than two years ago, and you will certainly find what you are looking for.”

Her plea reflects growing alarm in Spain at the huge stock of newly built homes waiting to be sold - of which 400,000 are near the coast - since the country’s economic crisis began. Prices have tumbled by up to 40 per cent and banks and construction firms are desperate to recoup some of their investment.

In recent years, Britons have bought one third of all Spanish properties sold to foreigners. But many have recently been put off by horror stories of planning permission being retrospectively revoked and other complications, and the number of British buyers has slumped.

Please, please, please wealthy Britons. Do the needful.

A hungry Spanish property developer is dying every day.

Hard to know who to believe nowadays. According to another bloke in the same paper - Ambrose himself - "Vibrant exports will save Spain, and perhaps the Euro"

Vibrant exports will save Spain, and perhaps the euro - Telegraph

I wouldn't buy a new development flat myself, but that applies here in the UK as well. A nice Victorian terrace is what you really need, with its own coal shed and whippet kennel.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      “Come here calmly, and trust in the system that we have and the transparency we provide,” she said.

Problem is that trust is easy to lose and hard to regain.

I'm not sure how I could be convinced that the legal documents I obtained during purchasing property over there were worth anything more than toilet paper. Maybe if the head honcho (el presidente) signed the documents himself, declaring generous compensation if anyone turned up with a bulldozer, I may begin to have faith in them.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
      X