• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gazumped!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gazumped!

Put in a very low offer on a house about a month ago and offer was accepted. House had been on the market for ages (it has no garage, which seems to disgust about 99% of house buyers these days). Got a call today saying we've been gazumped by someone offering 'very close to the asking price'. All I can say is, suckerrrz.

I mean, we liked the place. It has very, very nice open views across the hills. But there's no way it was worth the asking price. Except... it obviously was because someone's willing to pay it.

Still, no harm done. It had several cons which I'd started worrying about and can forget now.

Property market... booming.

How much more have they agreed to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      Put in a very low offer on a house about a month ago and offer was accepted. House had been on the market for ages (it has no garage, which seems to disgust about 99% of house buyers these days). Got a call today saying we've been gazumped by someone offering 'very close to the asking price'. All I can say is, suckerrrz.

I mean, we liked the place. It has very, very nice open views across the hills. But there's no way it was worth the asking price. Except... it obviously was because someone's willing to pay it.

Still, no harm done. It had several cons which I'd started worrying about and can forget now.

Did you say. "Oh that's OK, we were a bit worried after we'd found out about the murder in the field behind and dry rot. You'd better pass that on BTW'
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Gazump the gazumper with an asking price + 5% offer. Then drag it out as long as you can. Then gazunder the vendor with your original offer - a 2% convenience charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Gazump the gazumper with an asking price + 5% offer. Then drag it out as long as you can. Then gazunder the vendor with your original offer - a 2% convenience charge.
          WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            How much more have they agreed to pay?
            Oh, at least 25k more than us. We really took the piss, to be honest.

As for revenge, our policy is just to walk away and leave it to fate and not go back. We've had this situation before and had sellers trying to get us back because the higher offer has fallen through. That's plenty schadenfreude for me, just to say, "Oh dear, what a shame, oh dear, oh dear. NO! Bye."

Comment

Oh, at least 25k more than us. We really took the piss, to be honest.

As for revenge, our policy is just to walk away and leave it to fate and not go back. We've had this situation before and had sellers trying to get us back because the higher offer has fallen through. That's plenty schadenfreude for me, just to say, "Oh dear, what a shame, oh dear, oh dear. NO! Bye."

Suitably philosophical and appropriate response. Well played

Comment

Offer more than that offer, add a lick of paint, install a new bathroom and sell for 40% more. Profit ! There are millions to be made in brick and mortar.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I compute a 95% probability that the estate agent is lying to you.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    I compute a 95% probability that the estate agent is lying to you.
                    Absolutely, WFS! Tell him to shove it.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X