• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vladimir Komorov...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vladimir Komorov...

Christ - he was the pilot of the first Soyuz spacecraft, you know, basically the only one that can do space after the Shuttle retires...

He was always a space hero of mine, I have a calendar with him on...

For interest, it's actually pronounced in Russian as SaYOOZ adYEEN, Soyuz One.

Anyway, it was launched with multiple defects unresolved, and of course it was a total failure, rumours abound about last minute convos with his wife pre re-entry re: his impending death, but to his credit he aligned the ship and re-entered more or less perfectly.

Remember Soviet capsules landed on ground not water, in any case it didn't matter since the drogues didn't open and the retros only burned what was already a mess...

Komorov, pronounced KamaROF...

And Soyuz One., hit the ground at 300 mph I think if I worked it out right..

I thought he was shot down by aliens.

Poor sod, victim of the space race.

In the old days there were rumours of another manned soviet capsule going into orbit round the sun. Probably not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I thought he was shot down by aliens.

Poor sod, victim of the space race.

In the old days there were rumours of another manned soviet capsule going into orbit round the sun. Probably not true.
      The Migrant Mind: An uncertain history

Comment

Recently finished Mike Collins' book Carrying The Fire and currently reading Gene Kranz's book Failure Is Not An Option.

A lot of it was really seat of the pants and they carried a lot of luck, as Frank Borman said about the Apollo 8 trip to the Moon 'we had a horseshoe up our ass'.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Recently finished Mike Collins' book Carrying The Fire and currently reading Gene Kranz's book Failure Is Not An Option.

A lot of it was really seat of the pants and they carried a lot of luck, as Frank Borman said about the Apollo 8 trip to the Moon 'we had a horseshoe up our ass'.
          This was all that was left of him, poor sod...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            This was all that was left of him, poor sod...

He had a lot of time to think about what was going to happen. Heroic effort but let down by the technology in the end.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
            X