PDA

View Full Version : Is there a bigger fashion faux pas than...

SimonMac
8th March 2011, 09:26
wearing a short sleeved shirt and a tie?!

(This annoys me more than when I worked with a bunch of scientist who would regularly wear sandals with socks on)

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 09:27
uggs

:puke:

2BIT
8th March 2011, 09:29

(This annoys me more than when I worked with a bunch of scientist who would regularly wear sandals with socks on)

shorts with socks beats it, in fact both looks are very popular in the US.

Pondlife
8th March 2011, 09:30
Middle Managers (blokes) in leather trousers.

and before you ask, no, he didn't own a motorbike.

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 09:31

Sandals with only one sock on?

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 09:32
Men with fat bellies who open their jacket, put their hands in their pockets and stick their gut out as though they're proud of being big sweaty lumps of lard.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 09:32

Don't forget the sandals.

cailin maith
8th March 2011, 09:37
uggs

:o I love my Uggs!

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 09:41
:o I love my Uggs!

They make women look like a rather weedy plant in a pot that's too big.

Halo Jones
8th March 2011, 09:44
They make women look like a rather weedy plant in a pot that's too big.

I have to agree with that:
Also they do not seem to offer any support as 99% of people wearing them seem to either have feet to wide for the sole or the boot just saggs down around the ankles

Ignis Fatuus
8th March 2011, 09:57

(This annoys me more than when I worked with a bunch of scientist who would regularly wear sandals with socks on)IMHO that's not a fashion faux pas, it's merely a style that you happen not to like. I don't do it but it makes sense to me: tie because that's the code in that place, short sleeves because that suits the interior climate.

But I see sleeve length as a choice, not a fashion. Maybe I just don't understand this concept "fashion".

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 10:01
IMHO that's not a fashion faux pas, it's merely a style that you happen not to like. I don't do it but it makes sense to me: tie because that's the code in that place, short sleeves because that suits the interior climate.

But I see sleeve length as a choice, not a fashion. Maybe I just don't understand this concept "fashion".

Indeed. I also see nothing wrong with hanging a selection of coloured bic biros in the pocket of my short sleeved shirt. Even better if there's a lurid green protractor sticking out. It's a choice, and indeed a fashion statement. Only this season though.

MrRobin
8th March 2011, 10:01

Tell it to this guy...

http://www.brummieblogs.com/2006/BBMay2006_files/image021.jpg

Ignis Fatuus
8th March 2011, 10:27
Indeed. I also see nothing wrong with hanging a selection of coloured bic biros in the pocket of my short sleeved shirt. Even better if there's a lurid green protractor sticking out. It's a choice, and indeed a fashion statement. Only this season though.P*** O**. I don't do any of those things.

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 10:28
P*** O**. I don't do any of those things.

Wait 'till you see the spring 2012 collections. You will!

:wink

norrahe
8th March 2011, 10:41
Indeed. I also see nothing wrong with hanging a selection of coloured bic biros in the pocket of my short sleeved shirt. Even better if there's a lurid green protractor sticking out. It's a choice, and indeed a fashion statement. Only this season though.

you're forgetting the green woolly socks and brown open toed sandals with your knoee length shorts

alreadypacked
8th March 2011, 10:46
Current trend in Zurich

Black skin tight leggings
Black fur trim ankle boots

Sorry but they look like poodles :sick

amcdonald
8th March 2011, 10:47
When it's the height of summer I'd rather look unfashionable than be sweaty

I draw the line at Mankinis though

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 10:48
Current trend in Zurich

And what do the women wear?

PRC1964
8th March 2011, 10:54
Have we mentioned adults wearing crocs yet?

http://coloradoright.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/crocs.jpg

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 10:55
Visible brand names.

Frankly, you may as well wear a t-shirt exclaiming 'I'm an airhead'.

Exception; people (e.g. sportspeople) who are being paid to advertise a product.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 10:58
Current trend in Zurich

Nice that they've got the legs for it, eh chubs?

Churchill
8th March 2011, 10:59
Visible brand names.

Frankly, you may as well wear a t-shirt exclaiming 'I'm an airhead'.

I've got one that says "No, I'm Spartacus!" does that count?

Oh and one that says "You are surrounded by armed bastards!" :wink

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 11:02
Current trend in Zurich

:eek::sick:eek:

BlasterBates
8th March 2011, 11:03
Only a complete twerp would turn up to work on a scorching hot day with a long sleeved shirt on....or am I missing something.

and why can't you put socks on when you're wearing sandles, do you reallly need to poke your bare feet up someone's nose.

These sound like "Brit" habits, the same people that turn up in continental countries wearing white socks, hankies on their head, and T-shirts with a Union Jack on, whilst talking to foreigners in a loud voice.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 11:04
Have we mentioned adults wearing crocs yet?

They are useful for gardening (not operating machinery mind) and walking across the camp site to the shower that's about it. They are not actually comfortable.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 11:05
They are useful for gardening (not operating machinery mind) and walking across the camp site to the shower that's about it. They are not actually comfortable.

Now there is a fashion faux pas if ever there was one!

Get a real job then you can go on real holidays like normal people!

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 11:06

Does not compute. Is it where Julian Clary's building his new house?

amcdonald
8th March 2011, 11:38
Does not compute. Is it where Julian Clary's building his new house?

Yes he's moving down to the New Forest, having bought Sandy Balls

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 11:44
Now there is a fashion faux pas if ever there was one!

Get a real job then you can go on real holidays like normal people!

You were young once too and you enjoyed going to random festivals where you had to camp.

(I don't btw I hate camping and festivals where you have to camp out. It was my 10 year stint to prove I still hate it.)

SimonMac
8th March 2011, 11:48
I have found even a long sleeve shirt that is a good quality cotton keeps me cool in the summer

Churchill
8th March 2011, 11:56
You were young once too and you enjoyed going to random festivals where you had to camp.

(I don't btw I hate camping and festivals where you have to camp out. It was my 10 year stint to prove I still hate it.)

How wrong you are. My last time under canvas was work related and I was 12 years old the last time I had a camping holiday.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 11:57
I have found even a long sleeve shirt that is a good quality cotton keeps me cool in the summer

If you've got pasty, weedy arms then you're doing the right thing by keeping them covered.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 12:03
If you've got pasty, weedy arms then you're doing the right thing by keeping them covered.

If you noticed anything you would notice in loads of hot countries people of both sexes do wear long sleeved clothes in the heat.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 12:04
How wrong you are. My last time under canvas was work related and I was 12 years old the last time I had a camping holiday.

Well never let any of your friends convince you (while drunk) that it's going to be "fun" to try it. It's not even if it doesn't rain and it's warm.

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 12:09
Why do some men wear a shirt and trousers with no belt? It looks messy to me.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 12:19
If you noticed anything you would notice in loads of hot countries people of both sexes do wear long sleeved clothes in the heat.

We're talking about office workers here love, in the UK.

Paddy
8th March 2011, 12:32

Nothing wrong with that. British colonial uniform, short sleeve shirt and tie, white shorts, long socks, boots and pith on your head

wobbegong
8th March 2011, 12:39
Well never let any of your friends convince you (while drunk) that it's going to be "fun" to try it. It's not even if it doesn't rain and it's warm.

Rule of thumb; if they try to convince you to go camping, they're not friends.

gingerjedi
8th March 2011, 13:05
I visited a few high street chains in the hope of finding some comfy jeans but all I found were 'skinny fit' (tight on the balls), 'low rise' (arse hanging out, carrot cut (no idea???) or 'bow leg' (rickets).

Is it me? :freaky:

Mich the Tester
8th March 2011, 13:10
Nothing wrong with that. British colonial uniform, short sleeve shirt and tie, white shorts, long socks, boots and pith on your head

Do all the monkeys have a lisp in your corner of the empire?

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 13:11
I visited a few high street chains in the hope of finding some comfy jeans but all I found were 'skinny fit' (tight on the balls), 'low rise' (arse hanging out, carrot cut (no idea???) or 'bow leg' (rickets).

I must be getting old.

Carrot cut!?!"?!?"?"?"?""?!"?

SimonMac
8th March 2011, 13:12

And look how well the empire did in the long run!

Ah that old ploy, "Honest Ms HR Manager, I wasn't looking at his package, I noticed he didn't have a belt on!

I think its more to do with covering my tattoo

2BIT
8th March 2011, 13:14
Only a complete twerp would turn up to work on a scorching hot day with a long sleeved shirt on....or am I missing something.

I think the only thing your missing is that some of us don't own short-sleeved shirts and hacking the sleeves off a long-sleeved shirt because 'its a bit hot today' is a waste of money :D

FiveTimes
8th March 2011, 13:14

That puzzles me also.

FiveTimes
8th March 2011, 13:16

I prefer long sleeve shirts in the summer. If its too hot then either turn them up or adjust the air conditioning in the office

gingerjedi
8th March 2011, 13:17
I must be getting old.

They looked like a couple of small wind socks sewn together at the thick end. :freaky:

Churchill
8th March 2011, 13:19
I think its more to do with covering my tattoo

Your fault for having one in a noticeable place.

Mine is above the shirt sleave.

IR35 Avoider
8th March 2011, 13:19
The thing that most annoys me about British clothes culture is short socks. Unless you are playing certain sports (eg squash or tennis) socks should always be knee-length. Like miniature postage stamps, short socks are a concept that should have disappeared once the wartime shortages ended. For many years I couldn't actually find proper socks, (though I'm not a very determined clothes shopper,) then Tony Blair was criticised for showing bare legs in a photo-call with Clinton, and after that I was able to get some in M&S. But even now, it's a challenge to find them.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 13:24
I must be getting old.

You are but that's not the reason :tongue

I didn't see the word "Carrot cut" when I was looking for jeans they were slim fit, bootleg, curvy (same as boot leg), skinny, wide leg and boyfriend (same as wide leg).

OwlHoot
8th March 2011, 13:24

No, it's not just you. All the shops I've ever seen are the same - All they sell is those ultra-tight, shallow draft, "rent-boy" jeans that ride up your arse.

I've never come across a practical pair of good quality loose jeans, of a normal fit.

I've been wondering if one can get decent jeans online, and if so where. Any ideas?

As a size 11, I have the same problem with shoes. :mad

Churchill
8th March 2011, 13:26
No, it's not just you. All the shops I've ever seen are the same - All they sell is those ultra-tight, shallow draft, "rent-boy" jeans that ride up your arse.

I've never come across a practical pair of good quality loose jeans, of a normal fit.

I've been wondering if one can get decent jeans online, and if so where. Any ideas?

Get yourself off to Slaters Menswear :igmc:.

Sorted. :yay:

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 13:27
The thing that most annoys me about British clothes culture is short socks. Unless you are playing certain sports (eg squash or tennis) socks should always be knee-length.

:eek:

gingerjedi
8th March 2011, 13:29

Seeing as I put back 9/10 pairs I try on I wouldn't risk buying a pair I couldn't try first.

The funny thing is I emptied out my wardrobe when I got home and found 8 good pairs I'd forgotten about. :D

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 13:31
You are but that's not the reason :tongue

I didn't see the word "Carrot cut" when I was looking for jeans they were slim fit, bootleg, curvy (same as boot leg), skinny, wide leg and boyfriend (same as wide leg).

From GJ's description I'd say this bizarre cut is solely for the boys.

FiveTimes
8th March 2011, 13:34
The funny thing is I emptied out my wardrobe when I got home and found 8 good pairs I'd forgotten about. :D

But do any of them still fit ?

minestrone
8th March 2011, 13:36

Most european jeans will be of that fit these days

Carhartt do decent loose fitting jeans as they were built for loggers.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 13:38
:eek:

He's someone's grand dad.

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 13:39
From GJ's description I'd say this bizarre cut is solely for the boys.

Apparently it means tapered. The successor of skinny fit.

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 13:40

Must be. Last time I wore knee length socks I was....well, I won't go into that. :laugh

SueEllen
8th March 2011, 13:41
Must be. Last time I wore knee length socks I was....well, I won't go into that. :laugh

Yes well.............

Britney Spears has a lot to answer for.

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 14:05
Yes well.............

Increased sales at Burger King?

d000hg
8th March 2011, 14:12
Is it a fashion faux-pas if you're not trying to be fashionable? Anyone who works in a shirt & tie environment is a gimp for trying to make their uniform fashionable IMO.

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 14:15
What about tucking your shirt inside your trousers? Obviously at work you must, but outside work people tend to let everything hang out. Even jumpers.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 14:16
What about tucking your shirt inside your trousers? Obviously at work you must, but outside work people tend to let everything hang out. Even jumpers.

Tell me you're joking!

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 14:18
Tell me you're joking!

Yeah, I tuck it all in.

cailin maith
8th March 2011, 14:18
I got some knee length socks from Primarni the other week, they are brilliant for wearing with uggs and boots in general actually. Keep my legs warm under jeans :D

Churchill
8th March 2011, 14:19
Yeah, I tuck it all in.

Good luck with that.

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 14:21
Good luck with that.

Fashion faux pas? I think it looks smarter. Though not for wider waisted man perhaps.

Churchill
8th March 2011, 14:23
Fashion faux pas? I think it looks smarter. Though not for wider waisted man perhaps.

I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion (It's CM's job to fix me) but (imo) it just looks wrong, even if you are svelt.

gingerjedi
8th March 2011, 14:30
I got some knee length socks from Primarni the other week, they are brilliant for wearing with uggs and boots in general actually. Keep my legs warm under jeans :D

Is that a posh Primark?

I do all my fashion shopping at Mat-Alan. :tongue

cailin maith
8th March 2011, 14:33
Is that a posh Primark?

I do all my fashion shopping at Mat-Alan. :tongue

:wink

SimonMac
8th March 2011, 14:48

I'm proud of my tattoo as it has a very important meaning to me, I don't mind everyone and anyone knowing I have one and if they ask (as its an unusal design) I take pride in telling them it is a family symbol I got done the day I became a father

SimonMac
8th March 2011, 14:51
Yeah, I tuck it all in.

I bet you have even tried to tuck your willy between your legs to see what yo look like as a lady boy!

Spacecadet
8th March 2011, 14:57

Far worse is the obviously too big shirt

Short sleeved shirt and tie looks fine on some blokes, not on others.
As churchill pointed out, those of us with pasty little stick arms do better to keep them under wraps

amcdonald
8th March 2011, 14:59
Yes well.............

Blokes buying their gfs school uniforms ?

amcdonald
8th March 2011, 15:00

Alan Partridge is that you ?

Churchill
8th March 2011, 15:02
I'm proud of my tattoo as it has a very important meaning to me, I don't mind everyone and anyone knowing I have one and if they ask (as its an unusal design) I take pride in telling them it is a family symbol I got done the day I became a father

What a ******** bedwetter!

Never apologise and never explain!

2BIT
8th March 2011, 15:05

mine always shows through my shirt so I keep my suit jacket on (its pretty big!)

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:28

You haven't worked in the tropics have you?

And you haven't played golf in the colonial tropics. You don't get past the doorman if you have shorts without long socks.

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:32
Current trend in Zurich

To complete that picture all they need is a fur hat.

2BIT
8th March 2011, 15:39
And you haven't played golf in the colonial tropics. You don't get past the doorman if you have shorts without long socks.

shorts with long socks is acceptable - like wearing a bow tie it's the mark of a buffoon and serves as a warning sign

its the American knee-shorts with white socks look that gets me as it often sported by celebs I have some kind of respect for.

TimberWolf
8th March 2011, 15:39
To complete that picture all they need is a fur hat.

And a whip?

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:40
Nice that they've got the legs for it, eh chubs?

They certainly have!

I don't miss the commuting I was doing last year, but Zurich main station during rush hour had compensations.

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:45

and why can't you put socks on when you're wearing sandles, do you reallly need to poke your bare feet up someone's nose.

These sound like "Brit" habits, the same people that turn up in continental countries wearing white socks, hankies on their head, and 50p white T-shirts with a Union Jack on, whilst talking to foreigners in a loud voice.

FTFY

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:51

Because they don't need a belt to hold their trousers up? It seems logical to me.

(I'm thinking of a well tailored suit here)

Churchill
8th March 2011, 15:52
And a whip?

Hmmm, now that does conjure an image...

Back in 5 :igmc:

Sysman
8th March 2011, 15:55

Do I know you?

:D

OwlHoot
8th March 2011, 16:00
They wear braces in the City (or used to). So what's to stop one wearing shorts, socks, and sock suspenders?

I think it would look very smart. :rolleyes:

TinTrump
8th March 2011, 18:47
I was in Manila last year and quite a few girls in their 20s wore short skirts and long socks. Thoroughly indecent looking. :tongue

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 19:36
Because they don't need a belt to hold their trousers up? It seems logical to me.

(I'm thinking of a well tailored suit here)

I'm thinking of the scruffy looking arses round here who wear what look like their old off-white school shirts, and a pair of polyester trousers with no belt and scuffed shoes.

Old Greg
8th March 2011, 19:38
I'm thinking of the scruffy looking arses round here who wear what look like their old off-white school shirts, and a pair of polyester trousers with no belt and scuffed shoes.

Sorry about that.

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 19:44
Sorry about that.

I thought as much. I hope you're not one of those that smells vaguely of mould.

Old Greg
8th March 2011, 19:46
I thought as much. I hope you're not one of those that smells vaguely of mould.

Fly zip broken. Sounds familiar?

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 19:51
Fly zip broken. Sounds familiar?

I've never looked closely enough. Sounds typical though. Easy access my arse!

Cliphead
8th March 2011, 19:54
Easy access my arse!

Somebody wanna jump in here?

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 19:58

Jump? :eek:

suityou01
8th March 2011, 19:58

I'd tie a plank to your arse first. :wink

Cliphead
8th March 2011, 19:59
Jump? :eek:

Was expecting wittier comments than I could come up with :laugh

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 20:02
Was expecting wittier comments than I could come up with :laugh

SY's just rec'd some MP loving for making me larf.

suityou01
8th March 2011, 20:03
SY's just rec'd some MP loving for making me larf.

:D

MarillionFan
8th March 2011, 20:09

Oi! What's wrong with that! I can't get my arms in full length shirts

Oi! And what the bloody hell is wrong with that either.

I don't think I'm going to like this thread

Alf W
8th March 2011, 20:50

That's not going to be a popular view on this forum.

http://images.tvrage.com/shows/9/8044.jpg

Pogle
8th March 2011, 20:55
That's not going to be a popular view on this forum.

http://images.tvrage.com/shows/9/8044.jpg

I have a big crush on Richard Ayoade :o

Cliphead
8th March 2011, 20:56

Is that the wee guy with the specs?

Old Greg
8th March 2011, 20:58

Did you know he's a scat lover?

Pogle
8th March 2011, 21:33
Did you know he's a cat lover?

All the best people are :D

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 22:07
Oi! What's wrong with that! I can't get my arms in full length shirts

Do you have very short arms?

Cliphead
8th March 2011, 22:10

Long pockets.

Old Greg
8th March 2011, 22:11
All the best people are :D

Apologies. Have edited previous post to correct typo.

MarillionFan
8th March 2011, 22:12

No on account of my big guns.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/167274201/Big_Biceps_by_n_o_n_a_m_e.jpg

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 22:34
Apologies. Have edited previous post to correct typo.

I have been waiting for you to do that. You didn't disappoint. :laugh

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 22:35
No on account of my big guns.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/167274201/Big_Biceps_by_n_o_n_a_m_e.jpg

That look isn't good. It looks like he's had a baby's head sewn into his arm.

wurzel
8th March 2011, 22:56
A white dress shirt with blue denim jeans?

Wearing your rucksack over both shoulders thus looking like a foreign exchange student?

Shorts?

MaryPoppins
8th March 2011, 23:02
A white dress shirt with blue denim jeans?

Wearing your rucksack over both shoulders thus looking like a foreign exchange student?

Shorts?

What's wrong with shorts?

Not as bad a crime as crocs in my book.

amcdonald
8th March 2011, 23:12

Not as bad a crime as crocs in my book.

So Uggs vs Crocs, it's hard to say who looks more of a twat wearing them

wurzel
8th March 2011, 23:17

Ok, baggy shorts that are, err, too short. Ball exposers I belive they're called in the trade. Take a look at this:

NSFW (http://www.winningiseverything.co.uk/classic-football-pictures-number-1-peter-beardsleys-tackle-hangs-out-259.html)

Not for the squeamish either.

pacharan
9th March 2011, 10:01
Ok, baggy shorts that are, err, too short. Ball exposers I belive they're called in the trade. Take a look at this:

NSFW (http://www.winningiseverything.co.uk/classic-football-pictures-number-1-peter-beardsleys-tackle-hangs-out-259.html)

Ewww!!!

Old Greg
9th March 2011, 10:31
I have been waiting for you to do that. You didn't disappoint. :laugh

It is important to maintain quality standards.

MaryPoppins
9th March 2011, 10:35

I won't open that link, much as it appeals. Those shorts don't sound ideal, I'll agree.

Old Greg
9th March 2011, 10:46
I won't open that link, much as it appeals. Those shorts don't sound ideal, I'll agree.

Everything is ideal for something. This threads forgets about the importance of context.

MaryPoppins
9th March 2011, 10:56
Everything is ideal for something. This threads forgets about the importance of context.

Present me with a scenario in which it's appropriate to wear clothing from which your scrotum hangs, and I will accept the above.

Old Greg
9th March 2011, 10:58
Present me with a scenario in which it's appropriate to wear clothing from which your scrotum hangs, and I will accept the above.

For a job interview where you don't want to get the job.

SueEllen
9th March 2011, 11:25
For a job interview where you don't want to get the job.

But you still have to get to the job. That could involve public transport or stopping on the way. :eek:

Old Greg
9th March 2011, 11:31
But you still have to get to the job. That could involve public transport or stopping on the way. :eek:

I understand that a full length mackintosh is acceptable in these circumstances.

IR35 Avoider
9th March 2011, 14:15

It may not make a difference, but I should clarify I'm talking socks for men, worn under long trousers in my case. Since you don't usually see the difference, it's not usually a fashion issue. (But when you do, as in the Blair example, fashion is on the side of long socks.) It's a comfort issue. Short socks irritate the ankles and leave the lower leg cold.

As an aside, every uniform I've ever encountered (including school summer uniform, rugby kits, scouts, some military, all of which involved shorts) uses long socks. I could be wrong, but I reckon kilts are worn with long socks.

Short socks seem mean. I expect them to be made from artificial fibres. A culture that economises on length obviously can't be bothered to pay for wool or cotton. (Actually I only like wool.)

original PM
9th March 2011, 15:33
when we talk short socks are we talking ankle socks, socks that come half way up the knee or trainer socks which literally only just about come above the top of an average trainer.

the latter are useful when you want to not wear socks but do not want to make your trainers stink of sweaty feet (made that mistake driving to spain once - 1 day of driving in trainers with no socks meant a new pair of trainers) could be my feet are a bit ropey mind you...

BA to the Stars
9th March 2011, 19:01
My bug bear is when women leave the price labels on the under side of their shoes. For goodness sake, remove the sticker :mad

Old Greg
9th March 2011, 19:34
My bug bear is when women leave the price labels on the under side of their shoes. For goodness sake, remove the sticker :mad

How are they going to return the shoes tomorrow?

amcdonald
9th March 2011, 19:35

A porn movie is looking for a tea bagger and they've turned up for an interview

cailin maith
9th March 2011, 19:51

Mine too and invariably they are cheap shoes.