• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cure for baldness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cure for baldness

causes impotence, says new study.

Cure for BALDNESS causes IMPOTENCE, says new study ? The Register

No wonder men go bald, there's a selective advantage in doing so.

I sometimes wonder if hair and sperm don't share a common cellular "ancestor", which was around when the first multi-celled creatures evolved back in the Cambrian about 700 million years ago.

If you think about it, hairs in hair follicles are vaguely similar to sperm growing in their ducts (or whatever the name is of the "matrix" their heads are embedded in while they grow).

On that assumption, it's no surprise that baldness is linked to testosterone.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I sometimes wonder if hair and sperm don't share a common cellular "ancestor", which was around when the first multi-celled creatures evolved back in the Cambrian about 700 million years ago.

If you think about it, hairs in hair follicles are vaguely similar to sperm growing in their ducts (or whatever the name is of the "matrix" their heads are embedded in while they grow).

On that assumption, it's no surprise that baldness is linked to testosterone.
      Why the distinctive male pattern baldness though, and not all over? It could also be a message. Perhaps something to indicate longevity, virility and maybe health* too. And of course testosterone levels. At least assuming men lived long enough to display these and for it to be a selective advantage.

* In a peacockish sense in being able to survive despite losing ones protective fur from the most exposed of places.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Why the distinctive male pattern baldness though, and not all over? It could also be a message. Perhaps something to indicate longevity, virility and maybe health* too. And of course testosterone levels. At least assuming men lived long enough to display these and for it to be a selective advantage.

* In a peacockish sense in being able to survive despite losing ones protective fur from the most exposed of places.
        There's another, lesser known selective advantage of baldness. Back in the African savannah, where the sun beats down on the plains, a bald head could be used as a mirror to distract prey while a friend with a spear takes aim.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          There's another, lesser known selective advantage of baldness. Back in the African savannah, where the sun beats down on the plains, a bald head could be used as a mirror to distract prey while a friend with a spear takes aim.
          Yeah, I can see it now:
          Ogg1: "Oh, we're not going to take baldy are we? The gazelle see him miles off!".
          Ogg2: "Yes, we are going to take baldy, because otherwise he'll just be back shagging all the women again. That guy walks around with a permanent stiffy and the women can't get enough of it. Anyway the old fart knows where the gazelle are"
          Ogg3: "whs"

Comment

Here it is the ultimate cure

Baldness Cure A Step Closer: Scientists Regrow Hair In Mice

Baldies will be a thing of the past.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'll believe it when they grow up hairs on mouse's tail to make it look like a squirrel...

Comment

Interesting statistic:

70% of men are completely bald by the time they're 60. If you're caucasion it's 80%

Male Pattern Hair Loss Information

You're all going to be baldies ....
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Interesting statistic: 70% of men are completely bald by the time they're 60. Male Pattern Hair Loss Information
                  It goes much worse by the time men are 100 - most of them don't even make it

Comment

Phew. I brought a bottle of that stuff yonks ago and then decided it was too expensive. Yet again saved by my meanness.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X