• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mumsnet readers and others - thing to do in somerset over a long weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mumsnet readers and others - thing to do in somerset over a long weekend

Looking for some local info on the wells area for a long weekend with missus and kids (2 & 6).

We have VIP passes to the wookey caves as part of the hotel booking (any good?).

What else is there to do around there that is worth doing with young kids. Longleat? Anything else?

<Hugz>

Wookey Hole / Cheddar Gorge I seem to remember are pretty good.

Weston Super Mare has a beach, pier and a helicopter museum.

Lots of stuff in Bath (roman baths etc).

Seem to remember you used to be able to see the Cheddar Cheese being made somewhere in Cheddar, not sure if that's still true.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Go the extra mile and visit Swindon. I guarantee you will never forget the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Wookey Hole / Cheddar Gorge I seem to remember are pretty good.

Weston Super Mare has a beach, pier and a helicopter museum.

Lots of stuff in Bath (roman baths etc).

Seem to remember you used to be able to see the Cheddar Cheese being made somewhere in Cheddar, not sure if that's still true.
        I believe CM is the subject matter expert on this part of the world.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I believe CM is the subject matter expert on this part of the world.
          Fancy naming it after a cheese!

Whatever next? Stilton Canyon?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Go the extra mile and visit Swindon. I guarantee you will never forget the experience.

How much is entry, are the rides good, lots to do for young kids?

Comment

I quite fancy the motor museum, but I don't think the missus and kids will be quite so exited about it over seeing a bunch of baboons arses.

Comment

You could always head to Yeovilton. I have heard good things about it. They have a decommisioned Concorde there for one thing.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/
                Last edited by shaunbhoy; 9 March 2011, 09:20.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  You could always head to Yeovilton. I have heard good things about it. They have a decommisioned Concorde there for one thing.

Flying arm of the Royal Navy, see and learn about helicopters, aircraft- Fleet Air Arm Museum
                  WHS.

Or you could go to Weston Pier and look longingly at the Welsh coast* wishing you were there.

*Not Barry docks, the nice bit to the right of it.

Comment

Somerset is deceptivly big, I lived there for more years than I care to remember and have kids similar ages so I will try to offer some advice.

DON'T GO TO WESTON! Drive to Burnham-On-Sea, it's not as "glitzy" as Weston as there are no amusements etc, but if the kids are that young I don't think it will matter, but parking is a lot easier and the beach is better.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X