• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of flying as a hobby

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of flying as a hobby

Hi.

Having read some Antoine de Saint-Exupery lately:
    If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
    I'm interested in flying, something small like a motorised paraglider or a glider would suit me.
    Does anyone know the costs associated with said hobby, UK or elsewhere?
    It looks as the fuel would not amount to so much, equipment is a one-off cost, I guess the biggest issue would be using some sort of flat land to take-off and hopefully, land...

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    Hi.

Having read some Antoine de Saint-Exupery lately:

I'm interested in flying, something small like a motorised paraglider or a glider would suit me.
    Does anyone know the costs associated with said hobby, UK or elsewhere?
    It looks as the fuel would not amount to so much, equipment is a one-off cost, I guess the biggest issue would be using some sort of flat land to take-off and hopefully, land...
    I would suggest joining a local club before you spend any money. I went on a couple of glider trips and decided it was not for me. I realised when I get in a plane I want to end up somewhere different, not down the road.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I would suggest joining a local club before you spend any money. I went on a couple of glider trips and decided it was not for me. I realised when I get in a plane I want to end up somewhere different, not down the road.
      Better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

Comment

Paragliding? It's the cheapest form of flying.

I did a few tandem flights off a mountain in Turkey and loved it, when I got back I planned on joining a local club but got scared.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Try your local gliding club. Ring them direct and ask for a trial lesson.

It'll be approx £1500-£2000 to go solo (although some clubs offer fixed price) and then about £500/yr after that membership - based on local flying, budget £150 per month based on a couple of flights every other weekend.

I'd try to do the "go solo" bit during a summer benched period, because if you can turn up every day you'd probably go solo over a couple of weeks, rather than stringing it out over odd weekends during summer, winter, etc

Comment

Working...
          X