• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large ceiling rose required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large ceiling rose required

With the imminent arrival of YG II, I foolishly agreed to replace the spotlight in YG II's bedroom-to-be with a simple ceiling rose and pendant set. This will mean that we can hang an adorable lampshade.

However, when the spotlight was removed, there was a hole in the ceiling that is too large for the rose from the rose and pendant set to cover. Ideally I would like a rose and pendant set with a larger diameter rose (150 mm) but 84 mm seems to be a standard. An alternative would be to get a decorative plastic or plaster ceiling rose. These are of sufficient size but are too decorative for our tastes. We just want something plain.

We have discounted getting in a professional, and I obviously don't actually want to repair the ceiling. The best plan we currently have is to use a rose like this: R 07 Ceiling Rose - Large and Small Decorative Plaster Ceiling Roses - House Martin Online although we would like something plainer.

Helpful ideas most welcome.

Thanks

OG

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    R 07 Ceiling Rose - Large and Small Decorative Plaster Ceiling Roses - House Martin Online[/url] although we would like something plainer.
    To my eye, that is pretty plain as it is ! Almost mind-numbingly, boringly, plain. I can't think how it could be made even plainer to be honest.

For £16, there are more important things in life to worry about, surely ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

What I would do in this situation is say

"You know what dear, you were right, getting rid of that horrible spotlight was a great idea. I've found this modern light, which cover the huge bloody hole in the ceiling perfectly."

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        To my eye, that is pretty plain as it is ! Almost mind-numbingly, boringly, plain. I can't think how it could be made even plainer to be honest.

For £16, there are more important things in life to worry about, surely ?
        Not if you're a 9 month pregnant lady, apparently. What I really want is a bigger version of this: GET Lamp Holder Ceiling Rose from Homebase.co.uk

Comment

Find a thin bit of round white plastic (lid from something in the kitchen) and glue it to the ceiling and then fix the std ceiling rose over it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Find a thin bit of round white plastic (lid from something in the kitchen) and glue it to the ceiling and then fix the std ceiling rose over it.
            I refer you to previous post about 9 month pregnant lady.

Comment

With the imminent arrival of YG II, I foolishly agreed to replace the spotlight in YG II's bedroom-to-be with a simple ceiling rose and pendant set. This will mean that we can hang an adorable lampshade.

However, when the spotlight was removed, there was a hole in the ceiling that is too large for the rose from the rose and pendant set to cover. Ideally I would like a rose and pendant set with a larger diameter rose (150 mm) but 84 mm seems to be a standard. An alternative would be to get a decorative plastic or plaster ceiling rose. These are of sufficient size but are too decorative for our tastes. We just want something plain.

We have discounted getting in a professional, and I obviously don't actually want to repair the ceiling. The best plan we currently have is to use a rose like this: R 07 Ceiling Rose - Large and Small Decorative Plaster Ceiling Roses - House Martin Online although we would like something plainer.

Helpful ideas most welcome.

Thanks

OG
              Do what she asked, she's bearing your child.
              (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there btw.)

Comment

I refer you to previous post about 9 month pregnant lady.
                She'll never notice. Honest, it's amazing the bodges you can get away with.

Works with software dev too.

Comment

She'll never notice. Honest, it's amazing the bodges you can get away with.

Works with software dev too.

In terms of convering up the dirty great hole is concerned, that's the plan. 'Bodge' is my middle name. I do need to get the finish acceptable.

Comment

What I would do in this situation is say

"You know what dear, you were right, getting rid of that horrible spotlight was a great idea. I've found this modern light, which resembles a shower of sperm falling from the ceiling. Howd'ya like them puppies ?"

YMMV ofc
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X