• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When the garage guy you phoned starts "Are you sitting down?"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the garage guy you phoned starts "Are you sitting down?"

.. you know it won't be good news.

He's just emailed with a quote, to fix a squeeking noise in my 15 year old Jaguar XJ6 :

oil and filter service 347
    front brakes & caliper 849
    rear exhaust boxes 371
    NSF mirror cover 160

sub total 1727

more diagnosis required
    rear brake lights - possible module/bulbs tba

optional but recommended
    2 rear tyres on 2mm 408

noted but not necessary at present
    ac not working - possible faulty compressor
    water in fuel tank - be aware of this blocked fuel filler drain
    osf door switch pack and window regualtor
    engine drive belt noisey and ac pulley worn
    ------------------------------------------------ sub total 910
    Holy Mary, Mother of God! That's well over £3000, to get all the items done - about ten times what I expected!!

What do you car experts reckon? Is that lot reasonable, given the prices of parts and labour?

I thought £347 seems a bit steep for an oil and filter change. TBO, I was hoping the whole lot wouldn't much exceed that!

The guy in the garage reckons it would be better to ditch the car and buy a new(er) model, and said the local dealer would graciously offer £250 (no typo - only one zero!) in part exchange! Are they having a laugh?!!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

He's just emailed with a quote, to fix a squeeking noise in my 15 year old Jaguar XJ6 :

Holy Mary, Mother of God! That's the best part of £3000, to get all the items done - about ten times what I expected!!

What do you car experts reckon? Is that lot reasonable, given the prices of parts and labour?

I thought £347 seems a bit steep for an oil and filter change. TBO, I was hoping the whole lot wouldn't much exceed that!

The guy in the garage reckons it would be better to ditch the car and buy a new(er) model, and said the local dealer would graciously offer £250 (no typo - only one zero!) in part exchange! Are they having a laugh?!!
    Nope it's a knackered 15 year old XJ6

what you think you were sat on a some sort of classic??????

Comment

Holy Mary, Mother of God! That's well over £3000, to get all the items done - about ten times what I expected!!

You are Arthur Daley and I claim my £5. Come on Arthur cough up. Arthur?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

and said the local dealer would graciously offer £250 (no typo - only one zero!) in part exchange! Are they having a laugh?!!

I paid roughly that for the last XJ6 I bought and all it needed was lower suspension joint bushes at the back.

Over the years i've found the have pretty much **** all residual value, except to a Jag fan.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Take it to another garage.

If that doesn't work, sell it and BUY A GERMAN CAR.

Costs just as much to fix, but makes you feel good about yourself.

Comment

I had a similar tale on my Alfa 166, worth about 2k, garage man quoted me 2.3k to fix it!

I only took it there because I wanted a quick MOT and thought it would pass! In the end I took it a local lockup-type place on recommendation and it was all sorted for £280 quid. Take it there every year now.

Get mirror from scrappy/Ebay, exhaust local company can make them to fit, service from local small garage, caliper from scrappy, discs/pads online Motor factor, brake bulb/module tricky, is there an online forum for this car? We Alfisti do!

Realistically though car's worthless, scrap it and get another.

Comment

My word, take it somewhere else!

I get oil and filter for about £20 done and I'm sure he's taking you for a steep ride on the parts (£408 for two tyres!). You'd be advised to get on some forums and eBay to obtain advice and parts.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Realistically though car's worthless, scrap it and get another.
                I'm sure you meant for him to sell it on to a Jag fan with a garage.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

What service is it ? If it's an oil change only, it's way out, but if it's a v12 and needs all sparkplugs changed or something then I can see how it adds up.

Why does the caliper need changing?

Are all those prices +VAT ?

Comment

Which one of those will fix the squeaking noise? Maybe he wants to hear you squeak.

water in fuel tank - be aware of this blocked fuel filler drain
                    Is the squeak in there? Can't say I've seen 'petrol tank investigation' in any service report I've had.

Comment

Working...
                    X