• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

John Lewis Bonus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Lewis Bonus

So, JL announced their bonus today.

I can understand staff feeling happy with the announcement but the oriental woman in this video is going a bit OTT.

BBC News - John Lewis workers celebrate 18% bonus

That's the kind of bonus I approve - everyone gets bonus as same %-tage of salary because the firm is profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      That's the kind of bonus I approve - everyone gets bonus as same %-tage of salary because the firm is profitable.
      mmm, I disagree actually.

In a large organisation you are quite often having to introduce culture change and drive productivity. Giving bonuses that are based on metrics that support the strategy provides an incentive.

giving a blanket bonus based on corporate profitability provides no specific incentive.

Bonus schemes that are well thought out and implemented can be dynamite and progressive. Bonus schemes that are poor and corupt can wreck a company

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

John Lewis is about to launch a 5 year bond to raise new funds for expansion.

Open to staff and John Lewis card holders it will be paying 6.5% per year, if which 2% of that will be in vouchers. Maximum investment 10k. Not covered by the FSA.

They're planning some major expansion.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Maybe I should buy a sofa from them...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            mmm, I disagree actually.

In a large organisation you are quite often having to introduce culture change and drive productivity. Giving bonuses that are based on metrics that support the strategy provides an incentive.

giving a blanket bonus based on corporate profitability provides no specific incentive.

Bonus schemes that are well thought out and implemented can be dynamite and progressive. Bonus schemes that are poor and corupt can wreck a company

With JL, the employees are shareholders so always benefit from the company doing well
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              I can understand staff feeling happy with the announcement but the oriental woman in this video is going a bit OTT.
              <clarkson>Only because she's a member of a syndicate that got a tip-off it was going to be 18%, and stuck a few grand on it at Ladbrokes.</clarkson>

otherwise yes, anybody thinking "I reckon it's going to be 19%" is conspicuous by their absence!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Maybe I should buy a sofa from them...
                You could do a lot worse.

I've bought quite a lot of stuff from John Lewis over the years, you do get good value from them, they aren't necessarily the cheapest but that's because they seem to have standards rather than selling the cheapest crap they can get their hands on.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Going to check them out after Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    they aren't necessarily the cheapest but that's.
                    You say that but I have brought white goods from them this year & they were the cheapest on a particular model (admittedly is was not a basic model) and you get a 5 year warranty included, so it seems if you are looking a quality goods to start with they are competitive..

One thing they are considering doing with the raised monies is to set up their own delivery vans for Waitrose, therefore negating the Ocado cost.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X