• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why pay Tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why pay Tax?

Having read about Jowell's 'gift' and the taxman belatedly cottoning onto the untaxed income only after being shopped by his accountant! set me wondering how much I could hide from the Revenue and get away with.

Without a full blown investigation can the Revenue monitor Bank accounts on a day to day basis?

Is there any reconciliation between what I invoice the agency and what I declare as income?

... all hypothetical of course m'lud

Originally posted by maximus
    Is there any reconciliation between what I invoice the agency and what I declare as income?
    As a Limited Company contractor then yes, the IR can see where all of you billings end up.

But as a self employed individual you can get away with tricks to hide some of your income by pretending that it isn't a payment for services (using the not being found out rule).

tim

Comment

You could accept a lower rate and then ask the client to pay you extra in brown envelopes filled with cash - hypothetically of course.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Isn't it all down to whether they choose to investigate you or not?

What automated system are there that would flag to them that you are not declaring something?

If I received £30,000 from someone, how are the IR going to know about it unless they deliberately look?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
          Isn't it all down to whether they choose to investigate you or not?

What automated system are there that would flag to them that you are not declaring something?

If I received £30,000 from someone, how are the IR going to know about it unless they deliberately look?
          Presumably they need some sort of court order to look at your bank accounts as that's confidential? Which means they must have some reasonable suspiscion that you're doing something wrong before they can find out. But will the banks flag large deposits in some way? They obviously do with cash deposits.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Enquiry

Originally posted by VectraMan
            Presumably they need some sort of court order to look at your bank accounts as that's confidential?
            These tend to be one of the first items they require when conducting an enquiry. They can also mailshot all UK banks requesting details of any accounts held in your name....this covers all onshore AND offshore accounts....they have the power!!

If you don't supply these straight away, they will suspect something is up, get an order and go even further in depth!

If they suspect there's accounts in other countries, they can also request details from countries which hold a tax treaty agreement. There are still countries where these don't exist but these are decreasing very quickly.

Comment

tax treaty agreement

Would there be a list of such countries, that you know of?
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge

BancoBerlusconi

(Allegedly)

Comment

UAE - Dubai

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                    A list of the countries that the UK does have agreements with starts here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/treaties2.htm

(click on "next" at the bottom to go through the list)

Comment

Working...
                    X