• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra Mortgage Payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Mortgage Payments

There seems to be a received wisdom that overpaying on a repayment mortgage at present is a bad idea - but Shirley if the overpayment reduces the o/s balance it will be a good thing, particularly when rates rise again (I have a tracker mortgage) since the interest component of any payments is currently small (about 1.5% in my case) - or am I missing something (again)?

Wisdom is once you have sorted out your debts, other long term savings and investments i.e. pension then over pay on your mortgage.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      There seems to be a received wisdom that overpaying on a repayment mortgage at present is a bad idea - but Shirley if the overpayment reduces the o/s balance it will be a good thing, particularly when rates rise again (I have a tracker mortgage) since the interest component of any payments is currently small (about 1.5% in my case) - or am I missing something (again)?
      If you are going to overpay by 10k, and you can get a better return (after tax) elsewhere, do that. As long as you're able to withdraw it quickly and overpay if interest rates go up (if that worries you).

Comment

Depends on what product you have and the terms around the overpayments. Some people still have products that allow you to over pay and also draw down on the overpayments at anytime you wish with no financial penalty. Stuff all your spare cash in there to reduce interest (which is neglible now of course) and then take it back when you need it. Happy days.

Any other product than this then as SueEllen says I would put at the back of the queue of other investment/money saving opportunities.

If you believe however that the interest rates are going to rocket then you need to be overpaying now. No good when suddenly your interest payments are 4%+ higher.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mortgage Calculator: Simple calculator for repayment & interest only mortgages...

See Martin Lewis' site to work out why you want to over pay. It's not about the monthly payments, it's about how much you actually end up paying.

So, if you have a £100k mortgage and pay it off 5 years earlier, you save £20k on the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
            Mortgage Calculator: Simple calculator for repayment & interest only mortgages...

See Martin Lewis' site to work out why you want to over pay. It's not about the monthly payments, it's about how much you actually end up paying.

So, if you have a £100k mortgage and pay it off 5 years earlier, you save £20k on the deal.
            yep, I am overpaying 3 times my minimum mortgage payment amount.

I don't have any other debts that need sorted first though.

T - 5.5 years til mortgage free*

*until missus wants to get a bigger house, more babies arrive etc etc

Comment

Reduce your highest interest debts first.

If your mortgage is less than you could get if you invest the money elsewhere, then invest it elsewhere.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                I have a similar problems with a mortgage in which overpayments were made and the building society credited them to a holding account not paying interest. What is worst they lost old payment records when the building society merged.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

*until missus wants to get a bigger house, more babies arrive etc etc

Convince missus that she wants to expand her knowledge and do a higher powered i.e. earn more income job. Once she gets there she won't be so keen on getting a bigger house.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks all - some good stuff here.

Comment

Working...
                    X