• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Smart Grid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smart Grid

A few more details on the Smart Grid that Seve Holliday CEO of National Grid was talking about:

Under the so-called “smart grid” that the UK is developing, the government-regulated utility will be able to decide when and where power should be delivered, to ensure that it meets the highest social purpose. Governments may, for example, decide that the needs of key industries take precedence over others, or that the needs of industry trump that of residential consumers. Governments would also be able to price power prohibitively if it is used for non-essential purposes.
    Look forward to candle lit dinners at home when the wind isn't blowing. Should be good fun, unfortunately I won't be in the UK when the Smart Grid will be in operation, but I'll be cheering everyone from the sidelines.

CEO of UK National Grid: “Electricity consumers in the UK will need to get used to flicking the switch and finding the power unavailable” | motorcitytimes.com
    I'm alright Jack

BS

Interesting viewpoint there from 'A conservative view of south east Michigan and beyond', nestling between the 'Blogs for Palin' ads. I am sure that's a verbatim quote there and the author knows everything worth knowing about the ramifications of the UK Smart Grid.

The wind is always blowing somewhere, and the 'smartness' of the grid will come when we use HVDC tech to get our power from where it is being generated, whether this is concentrated solar in North Africa , geothermal in Iceland, hydro in scandanavia or wind and tidal in the UK. All our energy needs can be met from renewables once we make the overdue move away from increasingly rare, obscenely subsidised and filthy fossil fuels.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Interesting viewpoint there from 'A conservative view of south east Michigan and beyond', nestling between the 'Blogs for Palin' ads. I am sure that's a verbatim quote there and the author knows everything worth knowing about the ramifications of the UK Smart Grid.

The wind is always blowing somewhere, and the 'smartness' of the grid will come when we use HVDC tech to get our power from where it is being generated, whether this is concentrated solar in North Africa , geothermal in Iceland, hydro in scandanavia or wind and tidal in the UK. All our energy needs can be met from renewables once we make the overdue move away from increasingly rare, obscenely subsidised and filthy fossil fuels.
      What's wrong with nuclear energy?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Ooops. No objection to nuclear being part of the mix. Though we don't actually need it and there are local problems - the European supply chain is tight: total European capacity is expected to be flat or in slight decline over the next 15 years, we still haven't sorted out liability, waste disposal or proliferation and there are question marks over its dispatchability.

Comment

Ooops. No objection to nuclear being part of the mix. Though we don't actually need it and there are local problems - the European supply chain is tight: total European capacity is expected to be flat or in slight decline over the next 15 years, we still haven't sorted out liability, waste disposal or proliferation and there are question marks over its dispatchability.
          I wonder if the latest designs are safer and produce less waste or even Thorium based reactors might be the way to go;

Thorium promises what uranium never delivered: abundant, safe and clean energy - and a way to burn up old radioactive waste."With a thorium nuclear reactor, Dean stresses a number of added benefits: there is no possibility of a meltdown, it generates power inexpensively, it does not produce weapons-grade by-products, and will burn up existing high-level waste as well as nuclear weapon stockpiles.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Have to agree with some of your points there. We need to diversify our power generation capability.

But please provide a link to back up your comments about subsidised fossil fuel generation. Its only the renewable supply that is subsidised at the moment, by our tax money.

Having pointed out that we need to diversify our generation capability, it needs to stand by itself commercially. At the moment none of it does without a significant hike in electricity costs.

For info - I agree that the climate is changing, it has done throughout history, nothing is constant. Is man accelerating change? I'm not convinced.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Thorium promises what uranium never delivered: abundant, safe and clean energy - and a way to burn up old radioactive waste.
              If this is true, it would be just enough to totally crash stock market fueled by energy companies and bankrupt pension funds who invested money into companies like BP. Misery for pensioners all around - but free energy for everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                If this is true, it would be just enough to totally crash stock market fueled by energy companies and bankrupt pension funds who invested money into companies like BP. Misery for pensioners all around - but free energy for everyone else
                But the misery of the public subsidising inefficient 'renewable' tech is ok?
                Me, me, me...

Comment

In 2008, the International Energy Agency estimated global fossil fuel subsidies at $550 billion, then around $312 billion for 2009. To put it another way, about $50 for every person on the planet. Renewables get around 1/10th this amount.

In the UK the coal production industry alone received over £200 million of your tax money between 2000 and 2008 (Hansard written answer 9 Sep 2010), though this is due to be phased out by 2014 under EU rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    But the misery of the public subsidising inefficient 'renewable' tech is ok?
                    Renewables are heavily subsidised by 'cheap' fossil fuels too. Imagine how expensive wind turbines would be to build if they weren't done with energy and materials derived from fossil fuels. I think the answer is nuclear, go 'Manhattan Project' with Thorium and address the population problem too.

Comment

Working...
                    X