• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The I don't want an iPad(2) thread!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The I don't want an iPad(2) thread!

As it stands am I right to basically assume an iPad is just a big iPod touch?

I like the idea of the unit, and for most of my daily needs it would be fine, but there are some glaring omissions which are useful when I am away from the home and stuck in a hotel that mean I won't get one.

1) Lack of flash - Still a major bug bear for me as it means site like 4OD won't play so negating one of the biggest use's I would have of the device

2) No AVI support, most of the stuff I can't watch on demand I download as AVI's but again this is a nono on the iPad.

3) Updating Spreadsheets - mainly for expenses and mileage whilst on the road

I assume most of the Andriod tablets will solve these two issues, but is there any hardware that comes close to the iPad in terms of styling and functionality?!
    Last edited by SimonMac; 11 March 2011, 11:18.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I like the idea of the unit, and for most of my daily needs it would be fine, but there are some glaring omissions which are useful when I am away from the home and stuck in a hotel that mean I won't get one.

1) Lack of flash - Still a major bug bear for me as it means site like 4OD won't play so negating one of the biggest use's I would have of the device

2) No AVI support, most of the stuff I can't watch on demand I download as AVI's but again this is a nono on the iPad.

I assume most of the Andriod tablets will solve these two issues, but is there any hardware that comes close to the iPad in terms of styling and functionality?!
    Yep.

It's a gorgeous bit of kit, but every time I find myself tempted I end up stopping and thinking, "what would I actually use it for?"

So far I dont have an answer.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Yep.

It's a gorgeous bit of kit, but every time I find myself tempted I end up stopping and thinking, "what would I actually use it for?"

So far I dont have an answer.
      I think it would be useful when i am stuck in a hotel, browing the web, reading ebooks and watching live TV (TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again) is brilliant, but I'd also want to update spreadsheets for mileage etc, watch some catch up shows (I know iPlayer has an app now, but none of the other channels have) all of which I would need a netbook or similar to do

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

1) Yes it's a pain occasionally, but the frequency that I cannot use a site is becoming less and less. The main ones are as you identify - 4OD and the other TV catchup sites, but I think most are working on mobile sites (like the BBC iplayer has) or on dedicated apps

2) This is a bugger, I agree, but you can get software that will convert your files to the correct format

3) There are apps available for spreadsheet editing, although it's pretty basic and clunky (fine for updating the odd cell here and there e.g. mileage / expenses sheets)
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I think it would be useful when i am stuck in a hotel, browing the web, reading ebooks and watching live TV (TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again) is brilliant, but I'd also want to update spreadsheets for mileage etc, watch some catch up shows (I know iPlayer has an app now, but none of the other channels have) all of which I would need a netbook or similar to do
          When I'm away I have a laptop that does all of that and more already. As I said, I can't think of anything I'd use an iPad for.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            2) This is a bugger, I agree, but you can get software that will convert your files to the correct format
            This is what I want to avoid doing, whilst at home I can probably get away with Air Video but ideally I'd like to just be able to stick a half dozen progams on the device and watch when I'm in my hotel

Comment

When I'm away I have a laptop that does all of that and more already. As I said, I can't think of anything I'd use an iPad for.
              WDBS

Ipads look lovely but if I wanted to buy something expensive and pointless I'd rather spend the money on a weekend sports car
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have an iPad and trust me, it is far more than an enlarged iPod touch. The thing has replaced my laptops for everyday bored browsing.

1) Don't need flash, it's arse. You have the Youtube app for Youtube, TVCatchup iPad for watching telly, BBC iplayer app if you so want it, but best off all (which is what I do), sign up for a VPN provider hosted in the states and get the abc player app and sign up to hulu.

2) Bit of a pain in the arse, but it's easy enough to convert to mp4 once you've 'sourced' your avi's on the net. I use a couple of apps, they'll pick up the source resolution and audio settings and convert it for you. Leave 5 or 6 ticking away over a weekend, ready to sync on Monday morning. It really isn't that hard, most of these (like handbrake, etc) have most of the codecs that your avi's are being encoded with included.

3) Numbers is a great little app (iWorks) and is £6 on the app store, alternatively I think you can edit spreadsheets using google docs (not sure about word files) or you can get the Quickoffice suite £10. You won't be replacing your MS suite with them, but you can certainly use them to edit a few spreadsheets. Alternatively Goodreader lets you open office files for reading no problem, not editing though.

Only thing that isn't better on the iPad is forums, gets a bit tedious one finger typing, apart from that I love my iPad, I have all my OU manuals synched, always have about 10 videos synched, about 10Gig of music and a load of crappy games that'll occupy me for half an hour if I'm bored. All that in something that weighs the same and has the same dimensions as a school jotter.

Don't get the the 3g model, get a Three Mifi instead, works out about £60 saving you £40. Get the bose headphones with it as well, they're ******* ace.

Conclusion - iPad is the first thing I've bought since the original playstation and original iPhone which made me stop and go wow. Had it since it came out and still love it.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Can you hold your laptop quite comfortably in the palm of one hand and not notice it's there? Does your laptop still amaze you at going days without needing charged no matter you've been hammering it?

The killer for me, can you be lying back on the couch flicking through the telly, scratching your arse and have your laptop comfortably resting on your chest doing some leisurely browsing (without leaving scorch marks).

The iPad is the ultimate lazy boy surfing utensil.

Best app by far is the Telegraph, it's free and it's top notch. I haven't bought a paper in over a year. I tell you, anyone who doubts they need one haven't really used one in anger. If you have a friend with one see if you can give it a trial run overnight.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                    I have an iPad and trust me, it is far more than an enlarged iPod touch. The thing has replaced my laptops for everyday bored browsing.

1) Don't need flash, it's arse. You have the Youtube app for Youtube, TVCatchup iPad for watching telly, BBC iplayer app if you so want it, but best off all (which is what I do), sign up for a VPN provider hosted in the states and get the abc player app and sign up to hulu.

2) Bit of a pain in the arse, but it's easy enough to convert to mp4 once you've 'sourced' your avi's on the net. I use a couple of apps, they'll pick up the source resolution and audio settings and convert it for you. Leave 5 or 6 ticking away over a weekend, ready to sync on Monday morning. It really isn't that hard, most of these (like handbrake, etc) have most of the codecs that your avi's are being encoded with included.

3) Numbers is a great little app (iWorks) and is £6 on the app store, alternatively I think you can edit spreadsheets using google docs (not sure about word files) or you can get the Quickoffice suite £10. You won't be replacing your MS suite with them, but you can certainly use them to edit a few spreadsheets. Alternatively Goodreader lets you open office files for reading no problem, not editing though.

Only thing that isn't better on the iPad is forums, gets a bit tedious one finger typing, apart from that I love my iPad, I have all my OU manuals synched, always have about 10 videos synched, about 10Gig of music and a load of crappy games that'll occupy me for half an hour if I'm bored. All that in something that weighs the same and has the same dimensions as a school jotter.

Don't get the the 3g model, get a Three Mifi instead, works out about £60 saving you £40. Get the bose headphones with it as well, they're ******* ace.

Conclusion - iPad is the first thing I've bought since the original playstation and original iPhone which made me stop and go wow. Had it since it came out and still love it.
                    WIS

I use Danisoft (Danusoft?) to rip DVDs to iPad format. I use Nuance dictation, I use iBooks for free books, even Angry Birds are better in large format, and as for the driving games....

I use it for listening to the radio, my music, Oh and for music - I hold it to keep my ukulele lessons and songsheets. I use it to tune my instruments (cleartune - what an app!), I use omnigraffle for on the hoof business use, I use keynote to present, I use Mindo for mindmap creation, then I email to all meeting participants using my mifi.......
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X