• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self googling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self googling

Is there a word for self googling? I'm sure it can't be healthy.

Just googled my real name. Sans quotes.

First 2 pages of results is all me. Quite scary really.

Top result is linkedin.

Followed by google profile - I didn't even know I had one! It is now disabled.

3rd is some crappy story I submitted to an online magazine.

4th is techie support request from years ago.

5th is MyCo website

Followed by all sorts of random rubbish including something called yatedo that I'm sure I never signed up for.

Is there any way to get rid of my online presence? Or have I achieved immortality?

There's a couple of people with the same name as me who are much more famous.

Suits me fine
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Stop doing impressive things! It works for me anyway as I only managed a measly halfway-down-the-first-page thing.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Stop doing impressive things! It works for me anyway as I only managed a measly halfway-down-the-first-page thing.
        zippy - Google Search ?

Comment

It feels weird typing your own name in the search box. 10 years ago I would have been on the first page, but zip now.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            It feels weird typing your own name in the search box. 10 years ago I would have been on the first page, but zip now.
            Ee lad, them were the days. Hadn't typed my name in for years until k2p2 mentioned it.
            It feels a bit weird indeed.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Nope, there's millions of me unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                Is there a word for self googling? I'm sure it can't be healthy.
                It's called a vanity search, maybe among other things.

I reckon it's healthy enough, not least because prospective clients or employers often search on applicants these days. So you may as well know what they're seeing, if anything (and finding nothing could be a bad sign to them!)

Just googled my real name. Sans quotes.

First 2 pages of results is all me. Quite scary really.

Top result is linkedin.

Followed by google profile - I didn't even know I had one! It is now disabled.

3rd is some crappy story I submitted to an online magazine.

4th is techie support request from years ago.

5th is MyCo website

Followed by all sorts of random rubbish including something called yatedo that I'm sure I never signed up for.

Is there any way to get rid of my online presence? Or have I achieved immortality?
                Most results for me show up only when I include my middle initial, as I always included that when signing my usenet posts. So anyone who doesn't know that won't find a thing, and will just turn up a load of 16th century tombstone inscriptions or something.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My name is not spelt in the typical way but fortunately I share it with a singer so it's all about him.

Comment

I found that the first page of the search is dominated by some other guy who is into his triathlons. Something to add to the CV perhaps.

I admit to having use it in the past to check up on ex or prospective girlfriends, out of curiosity. Not sure it's recommended though as I found that one old flame who used to be very fit is now the typical frumpy mum who hasn't aged well. At least I still have the memories, until the alzheimers kicks in.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X