• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nuclear explosion in Japan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuclear explosion in Japan

Wouldn't you just know it - Just as it's vital we start building a load of new nuclear power stations in the UK, this goes and happens:

Huge explosion at Fukushima nuclear plant

Now they'll probably bottle out, and we'll be lumbered with yet more windmills, and energy rationing, just because some stupid fool couldn't design a power station properly in an area noted for its earthquakes and tsunamis !
    Last edited by administrator; 12 March 2011, 11:39. Reason: edit
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I was hoping it would spur research and development into their fledgling thorium reactors, as I mentioned here, because they are a bit flipped on fossil fuel resources. A bit like we will be soon. Thought they do at least have sunshine and hydrothermal.

So what has happened, has the primary coolant loop been breeched (the red one at 200 odd bar pressure), or vented?

Pressurized water reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

This is not a nuclear explosion
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I was hoping it would spur research and development into their fledgling thorium reactors, as I mentioned here, because they are a bit flipped on fossil fuel resources. A bit like we will be soon. Thought they do at least have sunshine and hydrothermal.

So what has happened, has the primary coolant loop been breeched (the red one at 200 odd bar pressure), or vented?

Pressurized water reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        It's not a PWR, it's a boiling water one. The primary loop is at low pressure, and boils to steam which drives turbines directly. It seems the pump on the primary circuit has failed, causing the build up of steam, so they were venting some of that at some point. Nobody knows what went bang yet though, could have been fuel. The main risk seems to be a meltdown if they can't get the cooling system working again. I expect the explosion won't have helped.

Boiling water reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Last edited by doodab; 12 March 2011, 09:50.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          This is not a nuclear explosion
          The expert guy on the news reckoned it could be fuel stores or something chemical, but probably not a building collapsing due to earthquake damage. It was a pretty big bang.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            The expert guy on the news reckoned it could be fuel stores or something chemical, but probably not a building collapsing due to earthquake damage. It was a pretty big bang.
            This makes pretty grim reading.

Agency officials said a team of National Institute of Radiological Sciences detected cesium, a radioactive substance contained in nuclear fuel rods, near the No. 1 reactor of the No. 1 nuclear plant, leading them to suspect nuclear fuel rods in the reactor began melting amid the high temperatures.

The nuclear safety agency said in the afternoon that the level of cooling water in the No. 1 reactor likely had dropped to 1.7 meters below the top of nuclear fuel rods, leading officials to suspect that about half of the rods' length had been exposed.

Comment

YouTube - [HD]The explosion occurs in the Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant

2m 02 - you can see the whole of the containment lining is blown to the moon.

This is VERY serious incident now.

Number two reactor is due to follow suit too.
              Last edited by Pickle2; 12 March 2011, 10:08.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Thats what left!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                  Thats what left!

I'm surprised anything is left. Looking at your first video I thought the entire structure had been vaporised. Whatever the structure was, the way it disappeared it looked like a paper house.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I'm surprised anything is left. Looking at your first video I thought the entire structure had been vaporised. Whatever the structure was, the way it disappeared it looked like a paper house.
                    Strange huh?

God only knows what it must be like to be one of those working onsite right now. The poor souls. I would DEFINITELY be billing at time and a half.

Comment

Working...
                    X