• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for two companies at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for two companies at the same time

I am currently working from home full time for one company. I am finding I am having a fair bit of free time and would like to take on more work. I don't mind working longer hours and over wkds.

However as I am contracted full time, I don't want to tell the company I am working for that I am taking on more work

My one problem in being able to do this is a previous reference. Obviously I can't put the company I am currently working for as then they might get annoyed. If I put a previous company then there will be a big gap in time, which the new company might seem suss.

Any ideas to get round this? Thanks

Why are you giving references anyway?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm always asked for a reference, its a job requirement

Comment

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post
        Did an agent tell you that?

You're not likely to get a weekend/evening job through the normal channels. The best way to get that sort of arrangement is if you already have a relationship with a previous client that have some additional requirements. And then references are irrelevant.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if it's the clients asking for references, in 20 years of contracting I can count the times that has happened on the fingers of one foot.

Agents on the other hand love asking for references as they're leads for cold calling purposes. Please see this thread and many others on CUK http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eferences.html

Comment

I understand what your saying but it is the profession I am in that a reference is needed (the last company I worked for hired a company to check my references)

Comment

I am currently working from home full time for one company. I am finding I am having a fair bit of free time and would like to take on more work. I don't mind working longer hours and over wkds.

However as I am contracted full time, I don't want to tell the company I am working for that I am taking on more work

My one problem in being able to do this is a previous reference. Obviously I can't put the company I am currently working for as then they might get annoyed. If I put a previous company then there will be a big gap in time, which the new company might seem suss.

Any ideas to get round this? Thanks
              You say here that you are 'full time' but that you also are finding that you have quite a bit of 'free time'.

Whos time is the 'free time'. If you are being made for that time by someone else, even though you're not busy, then that's their time. If you then took on other work and I'm paying you to sit on your arse then I'd be really really pissed off.

If on the other hand, you're only invoicing 3 days per week out of that 'full time', then in my opinion you are free to get other work, and inform the existing client and ask for a reference, because they are not paying you for that full time. In fact, you could say they are in breach. So which one is it, siutation A or siutation B?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I am very expereinced in what I do, having done it for the past 10 yrs, so it takes me half the time it would take a less experienced person. I am also only being paid the same rate as people not even half as experienced as myself and who are not as efficient at their job and take alot longer to complete tasks.

The client I work for judges that it would take 5 days a week to complete the work. If I can complete this to the same standard in a shorter period, I don't see a problem with this. However, I don't think my client would agree with me.

The morals of whether I do it or not is not the issue of this thread, but how I could do it

Comment

I am very expereinced in what I do, having done it for the past 10 yrs, so it takes me half the time it would take a less experienced person. I am also only being paid the same rate as people not even half as experienced as myself and who are not as efficient at their job and take alot longer to complete tasks.

The client I work for judges that it would take 5 days a week to complete the work. If I can complete this to the same standard in a shorter period, I don't see a problem with this. However, I don't think my client would agree with me.

The morals of whether I do it or not is not the issue of this thread, but how I could do it
                  So it's scenario 1. You plan to take another job, get paid for the 1st one, do it in the half the time and then do another job for someone else.

It's absolutely your choice, but frankly if you did that on my time, not only would I fire your ass instantly & I would give you a terrible reference. If this was a contract I'd sue you for breach.

If you're gonna do it. Keep it super super quiet. And that includes not being dumb enough to put it on your linked in or CV.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I know this, hence the reason I stated my current client would be unhappy

Again, this thread was not about the morals of doing it or whether you personally as a manager would be happy with it, but how I could get round the need for a reference issue

Comment

Working...
                    X