• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The House of Lords...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The House of Lords...

Long time no poll, so why not...

As always, if the option you want isn't there then it just means your opinion isn't important for 'official statistics'...
    should be abolished
    7.89%
    should become a second chamber which upholds a basic constitution/bill of rights
    21.05%
    stay as it is until Tony/NL comes up with a better idea
    2.63%
    should be populated in the same manner as Big Brother, where we can vote people out when we want
    2.63%
    should be a proportionally elected chamber
    2.63%
    should be populated in a similar manner to those selected for jury service
    0.00%
    should be directly/solely appointed by the Queen as head of state
    5.26%
    we should do away with all this Westminster stuff and just hold referendums all the time via text
    7.89%
    is the only thing standing between us and a one party state
    50.00%

Like many I daresay, I initialy thought there was more than 1 worth ticking. Then I realised that the UK will never be a one party state. Just that every party that gets into power is as much a bunch of undemocratic BASTARDS as the last lot. They all need KILLING in horrible ways! Have I said that before??
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Like many I daresay, I initialy thought there was more than 1 worth ticking. Then I realised that the UK will never be a one party state. Just that every party that gets into power is as much a bunch of undemocratic BASTARDS as the last lot. They all need KILLING in horrible ways! Have I said that before??

Stabbity - stab - stab....?

Comment

Non of the poll options represents my view: we ought to go back to how it was before the New Lie started meddling. I really cannot see what the problem with an hereditary peerage is.

Democracy is all well and good for the hoi poloi, and tends to stop the proles becoming a pain. But at the end of the day the country does need to be run, and run well. The only people with an interest in the long game are the peers, as the other bunch are sat watching the popularity meters far too much.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Go Back to before Tony started meddling.

Although some may consider it undemocratic. Hereditary Peers do have a place in protecting democracy. This apparent contridiction lies in the fact that hereditary peers owe patronage to nobody and are able decide based on their own beliefs. This is why TB has failed to control the upper house despite creating more peers than any other. Once in the position they cannot be removed and they do not need to do anything for him in order to keep the position. Because one may still do favours for the person who appointed them to the upper chamber hereditary peers go someway to removing the effect of this potential patronage.

Comment

"Go back to how it was" would have been my vote as well. Although it's faintly amusing to see a House full of Tony's Cronies and he's still losing key votes.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Go back to how it was...

...didn't think of that one. Guess I was too stuck in NL-think, the only way forward is to change things whether it's broke or not.

Still, can't say the old hereditary peer system appeals to me any more than the idea that the Duke (lord?) of Westminster gets to own half of central London in perpetuity just because his great-great-granddad perhaps sh*gged the virgin queen.

My two cents is that it should either be abolished altogether and a new voting system brought in, or it should be set up as a proper second chamber which determines if parliament is stepping outside a defined mandate/constitution...hmm, or perhaps Ms Hewit could just outsource it instead?

Comment

Good point z, but surely those of us who believe in merit would agree that the hereditary principle sucks? There must surely be other ways of getting people in the upper house who are not appointees or proteges or representatives of the major parties? Trouble is, I can't think of a serious one that would work.
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                  "Go back to how it was" would have been my vote as well. Although it's faintly amusing to see a House full of Tony's Cronies and he's still losing key votes.
                  I agree wholeheartedly. Go back to the way it was.

I'm fed up with elected politicians. We've already got enough of the lying barstards.

I'm fed up with party donors and other cronies being made peers. They are elected politicians of the worst kind - elected by an elected politician to do his bidding!

600 hereditary peers are too random to do any harm, and they tend to think for themselves.

Comment

What about? Write a massive consititution in sufficient detail that it can be programmed and replace both houses by an enormous computer? Come to think of it, if we just wanted laws more sensible than this lot come up with I have an old ZX Spectrum in the attic that should do.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X