• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At What Age Did You Feel Most Comfortable Contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At What Age Did You Feel Most Comfortable Contracting?

I ve been at it for 2 years and am 29 and not a day goes by when I wonder if I ll be chopped because I m too expensive and not experienced enough

So I wonder: At what age did you feel most comfortable contracting to the extent that if you were to lose a job you would confidently get a new one in a very short period of time

Are contractors meant to be subject matter experts or just people who can do as they are told and follow instructions without pissing people off?

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    I ve been at it for 2 years and am 29 and not a day goes by when I wonder if I ll be chopped because I m too expensive and not experienced enough

So I wonder: At what age did you feel most comfortable contracting to the extent that if you were to lose a job you would confidently get a new one in a very short period of time

Are contractors meant to be subject matter experts or just people who can do as they are told and follow instructions without pissing people off?
    I think every contract is different. When you're out, you think you'll never get another. Once in, you don't think about. As it gets closer to the end you think, am I good enough to get another.

Then the cycle continues. Not sure I'll ever get used to the feeling of thinking I may be on the scrap heap in 12 months.

What is interesting though, is recent reports has shown(as well as polls on CUK) that contractors are now older. Average age is 40 has fantastic all round skills and a wealth of knowledge, able to hit the floor running and that that predictions show that IT in the next 5 years is the biggest growth area and also has the biggest skill shortage.

So young whipper snapper, looks like you're in the right place at the right time.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've never been worried about finding the next contract. Even with a gap of 2 months - my longest resting time - which was mainly due to me being very picky and having a large warchest.

I have to agree with MF. It seems that there are fewer younger people coming into the industry (at least in my area), which makes us old 'uns very desirable.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Being a bit ageist here, but I would never hire a contractor under 30 but would really prefer them to be from their mid 30s upwards. The reason is simply they should have the years of experience and maturity behind them which a 25 - 30 yr old is just not going to have.

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
          Being a bit ageist here, but I would never hire a contractor under 30 but would really prefer them to be from their mid 30s upwards. The reason is simply they should have the years of experience and maturity behind them which a 25 - 30 yr old is just not going to have.
          Erm.....Started contracting at 23. A well known British retailer gave me £80million budget to build them a warehouse in Slovakia when I was 24. Now 28 and still doing alright, always offered extensions never had a bad report. Just because you were an oik when you were under 30 doesn't mean the rest of us are tulip.

Because its a well known fact that IT is only done by people over 30 except the likes of Facebook, Microsoft, Apple who were all founded by people under 30 and they didn't really turn out too successfully did they.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Erm.....Started contracting at 23. A well known British retailer gave me £80million budget to build them a warehouse in Slovakia when I was 24. Now 28 and still doing alright, always offered extensions never had a bad report. Just because you were an oik when you were under 30 doesn't mean the rest of us are tulip.

Because its a well known fact that IT is only done by people over 30 except the likes of Facebook, Microsoft, Apple who were all founded by people under 30 and they didn't really turn out too successfully did they.
            With the exception of facebook. Everyone is now in their 40s. What research is showing is, that there are not many new/younger faces coming into IT. Of course there will always be a genius sockpuppet somewhere.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I am 27 and been at it for 13 months now. Really enjoying it and can't see that the demand going away for contractors in IT in UK industry. Maybe elsewhere but not in the UK.

I've never been worried about finding the next contract. Even with a gap of 2 months - my longest resting time - which was mainly due to me being very picky and having a large warchest.

I have to agree with MF. It seems that there are fewer younger people coming into the industry (at least in my area), which makes us old 'uns very desirable.
              Maybe at the moment that is also helped by the fact there is no investment in new grads or in training staff up. Once things do pick up on that front I do feel the older guys will be less desirable (no offence like).

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                With the exception of facebook. Everyone is now in their 40s. What research is showing is, that there are not many new/younger faces coming into IT. Of course there will always be a genius sockpuppet somewhere.
                I think its becuase during the late 90s early 00s IT got oversaturdated with lots and lots of people and most decided to stay away.

Plus I'm not a genius, just organised

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Good for you! but I stand by my comment...

Comment

If you're not scared you'll be chopped due to how much you're charging then you're not charging enough

Contractors are meant to do what they're hired to do. If they are hiring you for your expertise then don't worry too much about pissing people off.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X