• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason for not buying an iPad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason for not buying an iPad?

The Only Reason You Might Regret Buying Apple’s iPad 2

For example, skip the purchase of a $5700 Apple PowerBook G3 250 in 1997 and put the money into Apple stock, and your shares would now be worth $330,563.

Even relatively new customers can find reasons for regret. If you’d skipped the purchase of an Apple Xserve G5 in 2005 for $3999 and bought Apple stock instead, your investment would now be worth $33,877.
    I didn't know enough about Apple in 1997 but I nearly did spring for a G5 in 2004. And of course they were pricier than that outside the US, so I'd be looking at rather more than $33K.

Oi Threaded! Can I borrow your time machine?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

What if I had bought Apple stock instead?

This is the one I got:

Apple iBook G3/600 14-Inch (Early 2002 - Tr) 2002-01-07 $1799 $42,552

Not quite the return it seems as the dollar was nearly twice as high against my currency then.

The fallacy here of course is if I'd spent the same dosh on a Compaq laptop, it would have long ago been dead, where my iBook still runs.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I didn't know enough about Apple in 1997 but I nearly did spring for a G5 in 2004. And of course they were pricier than that outside the US, so I'd be looking at rather more than $33K.
      This is exactly why I am where I am today. My friends laughed at me, my family were scornful. But I went ahead and invested my ZX81 money in sinclair shares, and now here I am. searching the pavement for juicy ciggie butts

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Oi Threaded! Can I borrow your time machine?
        And how much would the $100 Windows 1.0 cost be worth if you invested it in Microsoft?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Here's another analogy.

If instead of spending £15.99 in 2008 on Gold: The Best of Spandau Ballet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you had instead bought £15.99 worth of gold bullion, it would be worth over £400 million pounds now.

Damn I hate that CD even more now.

Comment

Working...
          X