• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors and Tradesman needs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors and Tradesman needs

I am considering starting a business to help put customers in touch with Tradespeople locally. I have a website planned. I am happy that i can provide the receiver of the service with what they need, but what does a conractor or tradesperson need?

What can i Offer to a self employed tradesman that will make them want me to represent them?

Is increased customer contact enough? Would any want to take advantage of job filtering where they can select days, times and locations that they are available to work?

Do tradesman want more turnover? or are they generally happy with what they have?

I have a lot to learn about contractors and tradesmen. All advice and guidance is welcomed.
    Last edited by WarrenS; 6 March 2006, 23:56. Reason: mistake

Comment

Thanks

Anyone else have an thoughts on this?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenS
          Anyone else have an thoughts on this?
          I think you've got zero chance of making it into a business, a hobby perhaps.

tim

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's been done and running for several years now.

118 Trades
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

What you have has basically been done already and as an ex-builder myself know that we are in such demand that no advertisng is necessary. I retired from that game over 15 years ago and still people come knocking on my door soaking wet with a stop cock in their hand or a black eye from the missus because they haven't put a shelf up.

What there is a shortage of and could be an opening for you you is that a lot of tradesmen turn down the small jobs such as changing a tap washer or just putting up one shelf. I don't think its a big earner but you may get spin offs from advertising.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's been done and running for several years now.
                I never understood this "bad idea 'cos it's been done before" attitude.

Is this to say there is only room for 1 recruitment agency with a web site or only room for 1 search engine or only room for one .net developer ?

In my opinion Warren there is more than enough scope for your service ... particularly if what you plan will be better than what's already around.

Comment

All different perspectives are useful.

Some positive, some negative. All taken on board.

Bob, I agree that just because the service is already available does not mean there is no potential for market share.

BG Geek, That was a useful link, thank you. I'll compare my proposed service to this and better it.

Tim, I accept that challenge... I'll keep you informed

Private eye, I agree about you point, not enough tradesman taking the small jobs. I will have a think around this problem and come with something.

Any relevant links, hints ans tips are welcome. Especially trades or ex trades people who know of common gripes with their business.

Paper work, accounting, customer contact, targetted marketing for bigger jobs,

Thank you all,

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenS
                    Some positive, some negative. All taken on board.

Bob, I agree that just because the service is already available does not mean there is no potential for market share.

BG Geek, That was a useful link, thank you. I'll compare my proposed service to this and better it.

Tim, I accept that challenge... I'll keep you informed

Private eye, I agree about you point, not enough tradesman taking the small jobs. I will have a think around this problem and come with something.

Any relevant links, hints ans tips are welcome. Especially trades or ex trades people who know of common gripes with their business.

Paper work, accounting, customer contact, targetted marketing for bigger jobs,

Thank you all,
                    well said Bob the crate. My advice is keep it simple
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X