• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from Nowhere Vol. LXIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from Nowhere Vol. LXIII

Bloody agencies Anyway...
    • ICorrect: Setting the record straight - A site that allows people (mainly celebrities) to correct the garbage written about them by the Press. "Accusation: Jemima Goldsmith changed her first name to the Muslim name Haiqa when she got married. Correction by Jemima Khan: I never changed my first name and if I had, it would not have been for a name, which when said out loud, sounds like you're clearing your throat of phlegm."

• The strange unearthly music that appears when you import Windows program files as audio data - Ben Goldacre discovers the modern equivalent of listening to ZX Spectrum cassettes: "I really like this: the raw data from the program file for Microsoft paint.exe imported as a PCM audio file, awesomeness ensues..." Firefox sounds good too.

• Facebook news: divorced from the facts - "Everyone loves a good Facebook news story – or rather, a bad one. And over the past few days, a classic has emerged: Facebook will wreck your marriage." Tom Royal debunks the latest made-up statistics about Facebook.

• The Adventures of Eggplant - "In January 1998, a struggling 23-year-old standup comedian known only by his stage name Nasubi (Eggplant) heard about an audition... the producers... were looking for someone who was willing to be locked away in a one-bedroom apartment for however long it took to win a million yen (then the equivalent of about $10,000) worth of prizes in magazine contests. As if that wasn’t a weak enough offer, there was a catch -the contestant would have to live off the prizes he won." It took ten months before he managed to win any toilet paper...

• Taxonomy of Logical Fallacies - Excellent site explaining all different kinds of logical fallacy.

• Who Buys These Clothes? They Do - "A Peek Inside the Closets of Shoppers Who Pay Full Price for Designers' Latest Runway Looks." €55,150 for a dress? FFS.

• Toilet Map - "For those times when you need to find a loo in a hurry." Available in your browser or on iPhone, Android, and other mobiles: at the moment it only covers 943 toilets in London, but that's a start

• insane asylum plans - "Up to the 19th Century mentally ill people were sometimes chained naked in squalid conditions in places like London’s Bethlehem hospital which became synonymous with chaos (its name being contracted to bedlam) and where tourists would pay to see the freak show. Then came the extreme rationalism of the Kirkbride plan which created a very unusual form of architecture for asylums throughout the Anglosphere that was used until the 20th Century."

• The Museum of Retro Technology - Lots of wonderful old machines, including a device for automating the process of proving that Bacon wrote Shakespeare, and The Schilovski Gyrocar

• Every Day Posters Every Day - "No activity in your life is too boring or mundane. The idea is to take trivial activities and promote them with posters to give them a sense of importance they ordinarily would not have." E.g. "Picking food out of your teeth: Now in 3D!"

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Bloody agencies Anyway...
    What's yours gone and done now?

(I've just lost £300 for a day's work I did a couple of months ago for a previous client, on account of the agency going belly up - Received a wodge of papers from the administrators last week. )
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(I've just lost £300 for a day's work I did a couple of months ago for a previous client, on account of the agency going belly up - Received a wodge of papers from the administrators last week. )
      Two agencies, ruining my life independently of each other. Suffice it to say that I currently have no source of revenue, which isn't what one needs when one has been unable to work for a while due to sudden illness, and has then spent one's remaining cash on agency-inspired pursuits of feral anserines

Comment

You've managed to lose 2 contracts in as many weeks?! You're giving MF a run for his money.

Seriously though, that sucks. Care to indulge in a proper rant?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

what agency was it ?

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Gearwheels From Hell.

Comment

cyclogyro!

A cyclogyro (or cyclogyre) is an aeroplane propelled and given lift by horizontal assemblies of rotating wings. Very few prototypes were built, and those that were constructed were completely unsuccessful.

wonderfully mad.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

what agency was it ?
                Well, assuming the receipt of administration papers means they really are in administration, so this isn't libellous - Inginia Solutions

edit: and I see their home page has gone AWOL:

Firefox can't find the server at inginiasolutions.com
                edit: There's a review page on them here

Now I think of it, they only paid me for a month's work about three months later, when they needed some more work doing a month or so ago. So I was very lucky!
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 15 March 2011, 14:15.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Now I think of it, they only paid me for a month's work about three months later, when they needed some more work doing a month or so ago. So I was very lucky!
                  I remember one place going bust on me with 300 quid outstanding. It took a couple of years to get paid out and I only got something like 25 quid.

By that time of course I had swapped from self employed to LtdCo and the bank wouldn't let me pay the cheque in, even when countersigned.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    I remember one place going bust on me with 300 quid outstanding. It took a couple of years to get paid out and I only got something like 25 quid.

By that time of course I had swapped from self employed to LtdCo and the bank wouldn't let me pay the cheque in, even when countersigned.
                    I remember one place going bust on me with 30000 quid outstanding. ah me. unhappy days...

Comment

Working...
                    X