• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pseudo-techie query on Smart Phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pseudo-techie query on Smart Phones

I know it should probably be in Technical but readers of General are every bit as helpful and informative as over "there".

I am thinking of getting a new phone (my contract is coming to an end) and I must confess to being a bit of a dinosaur in that I don't follow trends and stuff like that so would like the congregations thoughts.

Possibilities I have heard of, but don't really know much about
    a) IPhone
    b) Blackberry
    c) HTC Desire
    d) Samsung Galaxy

I am sure you will tell me about lots of variations and alternatives

This is a serious question - although I am not a fashion victim I don't want to look a total muppet with a Nokia 3310 or something
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Samsung Galaxy S ][...

Comment

I was looking at some in the shops the other day and I was surprised how tacky "the competition" looks. I think HTC Desire in particular looked flimsy, plasticy and shoddy. Expensive too.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        ][...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I was looking at some in the shops the other day and I was surprised how tacky "the competition" looks. I think HTC Desire in particular looked flimsy, plasticy and shoddy. Expensive too.
          Sorry which are "the competition"?

WHS?
          Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Whats a smart phone ?

Comment

Some questions to ask

1) Do you use itunes? If so, the only thing that will reliably sync your media is an iphone
              2) Do you want a physical keyboard? If so you can't get an iphone
              3) If you don't want an iphone, do you want a google or microsoft supported os?
              4) There will be more apps created for android than windows mobile, but there are a lot of ropey ones as the app store is not curated. Is that a big deal? If so you'll want to stay away from android.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                Sorry which are "the competition"?

WHS?
                I meant the iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Some questions to ask

1) Do you use itunes? If so, the only thing that will reliably sync your media is an iphone
                  2) Do you want a physical keyboard? If so you can't get an iphone
                  3) If you don't want an iphone, do you want a google or microsoft supported os?
                  4) There will be more apps created for android than windows mobile, but there are a lot of ropey ones as the app store is not curated. Is that a big deal? If so you'll want to stay away from android.
                  1) Well I do use ITunes - but not much, I dump a load of tunes onto a player (IPod upto now) periodically.
                  2) Not too bothered - but over the past year-ish I have had ClientCo supplied Blackberry (Curve?) which has only got a tulipy little keyboard and tulipy little screen. I don't think I am abnormal but my fingers are a bit clumpy to use it easily, although if I used it more I might become more adept in its use my old and failing eyesight will never really cope with the screen for much.
                  So I guess that means I would like a big-ish screen!
                  3) Dunno - Why would I care?
                  4) Ropey in what way? Just tulipe or likely to cause me problems? I am not "into" apps particularly but that might be because I don't have a phone to run them on. (Same catch 22 as the keyboard)
                  Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                    ........... although I am not a fashion victim I don't want to look a total muppet with a Nokia 3310 or something
                    I meant the iPhone.
                    The IPhone makes me think "fashion victim" - but if it really is "the best" I won't dismiss it out of hand.
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara

Comment

Working...
                    X