• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

April tax changes - after VAT and inflation rises have eaten your money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April tax changes - after VAT and inflation rises have eaten your money

Just a reminder of what to look forward to (especially the permies here):

BBC News - Consumers warned about April tax shock

Income tax changes

The biggest change for most people next month will be income tax.

On the positive side, half a million people will be taken out of the tax bracket altogether.

That is because the amount anyone is allowed to earn before paying tax rises from £6,475 to £7,475.

But on the negative side, 750,000 more people will pay tax at the higher rate of 40%.

That is because the higher rate threshold has fallen from £43,875 to £42,475.

National Insurance changes

As far as National Insurance contributions are concerned, all 29 million employees in the UK will pay an extra 1%.

The employee contribution rate is rising from 11% to 12%.

But higher earners pay an additional rate as well.

Until now, employees had to earn over £844 a week to pay that additional rate.

But from 6 April, anyone earning more than £817 a week will pay.

And instead of the present 1% contribution rate, those higher earners will pay 2% instead.

Taking both the tax and NI changes into account, the IFS estimates than anyone earning more than £35,000 a year will be worse off.

Labour party are pledging to reduce tax, borrow the money instead, so come election time, if you want to be better off, you are advised to do what 99% of the voters are going to do, and that's vote for Red Ed.

HTH

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Labour party are pledging to reduce tax, borrow the money instead, so come election time, if you want to be better off in the short term, by a small amount of money, you are advised to do what 99% of the voters are going to do, and that's vote for Red Ed.
    HTH
    Alternatively you could lose the myopic me me me attitude and take the pain.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yeh. Think of somebody else for a change. Like ME. What is really important is that, being retired, me me me will be slightly better off due to the higher allowance.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Those small changes are hardly a "Tax Shock".
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It's a shock if you're of the mind that all social structures including taxation are an affront to your right to unmitigated individual liberty.

I blame the sex pistols.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

So those on higher salaries are worse off and those on lower salaries are better off? But the extra 1% NI pretty offsets any advantage, however higher salaried people are worse off and now there's more of them?

Nothing to see here..
            Last edited by Jog On; 15 March 2011, 09:33.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Alternatively you could lose the myopic me me me attitude and take the pain.
              Funny, bankers are "me me me" and they're not feeling any pain. Politicians are no better.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Funny, bankers are "me me me" and they're not feeling any pain. Politicians are no better.
                Indeed. We should **** them all in the arse with a broken bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Indeed.

Inflation is far more serious tax - happens every year too.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Indeed.

Inflation is far more serious tax - happens every year too.
                    Inflation is continuous I thought.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X