• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom. FTSE down 3% and dropping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom. FTSE down 3% and dropping

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Stock Markets | London Stock Exchange LSE | FTSE 100 UKX

Down £1400 so far this morning

Stocks and shares taking a kicking today. Nikkei down 10%, 14% at one point and so all European stocks taking a real pasting.

Don't panic Mr Mannering. Assuming Japan doesnt get wiped off the face of the earth in the next few days with a freak explosion setting off an earthquake looks like a good buying opportunity coming up.

Churchill you got your spreads bets on?
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 15 March 2011, 10:00.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Stock recommendation for the day...

Range Resources - RRL
    Excite Energy - XEL

Comment

Nothing much happening to gold in USD or GBP, so the money isn't going in to hiding there.

Comment

I'm not going to watch too much today. I'd want it to drop more than it has before upping exposure into equities.

Bit annoying. I took out an investment fund last year for £60k which will pay out 8.5% if the FTSE is higher on the 30th March then when I took it out last year.

If it goes below 5450 it won't pay out and my money is locked for another 12 months.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Bought BP and Shell on limit order yesterday, didn't expect it to drop this much!

Comment

I'm just gutted that I spent 4 months on the bench over christmas and the new year otherwise I would be sticking £10k in shared of some of the big Japanses tech firms that have took a hit this week
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm flat.

Will be on the sidelines until things settle down (if they ever do!)

Although I'm eying some GBP breakout levels on AUD and NZD, possible nice trend/postion trade of they break out. Waiting for confirmation first though!
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

My Japanese construction shares are actually up, which makes up for the chemical plant and Yahoo Japan shares which are down.

All my energy stocks are up

The Germans have announced the immediate closure of 7 Nuclear power stations. The boss of RWE (biggest German generator) has issued a stern warning thouigh that without fossil fuels and nuclear power, the lights will go out. Wouldn't touch any German stocks, looks like they're shutting it down.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  My Japanese construction shares are actually up, which makes up for the chemical plant and Yahoo Japan shares which are down.

All my energy stocks are up

The Germans have announced the immediate closure of 7 Nuclear power stations. The boss of RWE (biggest German generator) has issued a stern warning thouigh that without fossil fuels and nuclear power, the lights will go out. Wouldn't touch any German stocks, looks like they're shutting it down.
                  That sounds like some EUR shorts might be on the cards then..
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

At last! Some proper ******* doom!

I heard some BBC reporter looking at the devastation and talking about Global Warming FFS. Brainwashed morons.

Comment

Working...
                    X