• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet Explorer 9 (not RC, the proper public release)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Explorer 9 (not RC, the proper public release)

Has anyone installed the new IE9 yet and can say whether it has given any issues or is worth upgrading from IE8 to?

I notice on the Microsoft home page that the link to IE9 under 'popular downloads' is not working.

Internet Explorer - Microsoft Windows

Doing a search of their website only throws up the RC link, though not sure if the landing page is now the proper public release or not, looks to be:

Internet Explorer - Microsoft Windows
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

The first link works for me in Firefox, but in IE9 RC it goes to a different site that is broken. Oh dear.

Seems to work okay from what I've seen of the betas. However I hate the way they've integrated the search and address bar, so for that reason alone have been using Firefox 4 (resource hog that it appears to be).
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      The first link works for me in Firefox, but in IE9 RC it goes to a different site that is broken. Oh dear.

Seems to work okay from what I've seen of the betas. However I hate the way they've integrated the search and address bar, so for that reason alone have been using Firefox 4 (resource hog that it appears to be).

The first link (that goes to atdmt.com) seems to be so they can use a tracking cookie. Hopefully that's a genuine link and not some spyware on my PC that has put it there.

Integrated search and address input. Doesn't sound appealing. Might add it to the list of MS updates to leave for a while (alongside W7 SP1) till a better picture emerges from the userbase.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Can't you disable the search part of the search/url combo-control? I actually like it on Chrome, but anyway minimal UI is the in thing now.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Can't you disable the search part of the search/url combo-control? I actually like it on Chrome, but anyway minimal UI is the in thing now.
          I suppose it's a small thing to get used to. The default in IE9 is to have the tabs alongside the address bar (which is stupid), but if you change that, then the address bar is 90% of the screen width, and with 1280 pixels that's big enough for a War and Peace sized URL. You wouldn't lose anything by having a seperate search as before.

IMHO Firefox 4 has the nicest GUI design. Whether it's a better browser overall is a different issue.

Comment

I think I'm going to let you lot be guinea pigs for me here
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              use to use firefox religiously, tried chrome and haven't looked back not because of any GUI advantage but because Firefox takes an ice age to load, plus like the whole idea of the chrome sandboxes and moveable tabs. auto-password complete isn't great though

plus some sites don't render to well (generally the ones who still believe pop ups are a good way to enter user data)
              sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Cool, will download to my laptop - which is my test machine. I can then see how my websites look on it. I'd only just got them sorted accross ie7, ie8 and chrome.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I've installed IE9 on my desktop now, and all the g's are cut off at the bottom! I guess that's a hardware acceleration/graphics driver type issue because I don't see it on my laptop. On the laptop the hardware acceleration is disabled in IE (it's dog slow at anything graphical so that's no suprise).

I was trying out some of the graphics demos, and comparing to Firefox 4. Firefox's own test here:

Firefox 4: hardware acceleration ✩ Mozilla Hacks – the Web developer blog

Gives me 17 fps on Firefox 4, and 60+ on IE9, obviously Firefox's hardware acceleration doesn't work on my 3 year old NVidia card and Windows 7, but IE9's does and flies along.

But even on my laptop, I get 9fps from Firefox, and 18fps from IE9. So Firefox's own test shows IE9 has twice the graphics performance even with no hardware acceleration.

Interesting.

Comment

I've installed IE 9 on Thursday, and it has stopped working with parts of my Accountant's website. Have to use Firefox to access my Accountant's website.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X