• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC speakers for music recording (monitoring) - recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC speakers for music recording (monitoring) - recommendations?

Can any of our esteemed and musically inclined members recommend a good set of monitoring speakers for home recording?

Preferably with an analogue audio input so I can plug my M-Audio fast track pro directly into them and bypassing the PC soundcard altogether?

I currently have a set of 5.1 with a woofer which aren't really fit for purpose. Budget is up to about £100.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I too have been looking at quality active speakers recently and I can't find anything that compares to these: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II Multimedia Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Does anyone own a pair?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A bit over budget, but I have some of ESI nEAR 05 eXperience Studio Reference Monitors | DV247 that I'm pleased with.

That price puts them firmly at the budget end of the spectrum BTW. "Good" ones run into the thousands.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        A bit over budget, but I have some of ESI nEAR 05 eXperience Studio Reference Monitors | DV247 that I'm pleased with.

That price puts them firmly at the budget end of the spectrum BTW. "Good" ones run into the thousands.
        for budget the alesis monitor ones were always a good bet
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

What about these?

ION Deskrocker Studio Monitors Free Delivery : PC Audio Recording : Maplin
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
            for budget the alesis monitor ones were always a good bet
            These look qiute suitable:

Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Pro-Grade Speakers (2 x 10w)

Comment

I have the M-Audio speakers at the link below, which are supposed to be very good. (They sound good to me. They seemed the most recommended when I did my research.)

M-Audio Studiophile Av40 - Home Studio Monitor Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Edit: Note that one review I saw said that the slightly smaller and cheaper AV30's are not as good.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 15 March 2011, 13:28.

Comment

I would avoid stuff from Maplins unless it's from a recognised brand.

You could also check out the reviews on the sound on sound website.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  oh yeah go active if you can, I have the passives and are good for the price and have a suitably nice low end for my needs
                  sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

or try ebay for some yamaha NS-10's if you wanna be like real studios

prolly expensive on ebay though

Comment

Working...
                    X